Anyone Not Use a Strap?

For me, going strapless is a direct function of the aging process. When I was in my 20s/30s, the wide tapestry-type strap was cool, so I had to have one. Before long, it got in the way and then went away. In its place I used a hand strap which has been since long misplaced. Jumping ahead twenty years, I'm back to using the strap Nikon provides. The reason? The older, the clumsier, at least with me.

I don't much feel like dropping two-three grand worth of camera and lens down a flight of stairs, or off a rock ledge, or even on a patch of grass. For me, a strap is security, and it's also a sure sign I simply don't trust myself to be perpetually vigilant anymore - no kidding.

:D

I kind of want to try the BlackRapid R-2 I think it is (basic one), but damn... $54?! I guess they need to make up for all the connector parts they had to ship out.

Its worth every penny. I got the RS4 from b&h and absolutely love it. It's very handy for on-the-go shooting and offers a lot better quick handling compared to the regular neck strap.

IF I get something again to carry my camera...

I think I would lean more towards something like the Cotton Carrier

I also use a strap, a neoprene one by Op/Tech, it's always on, even when using a tripod, and yes it does get in the way sometimes, and sometimes (too often) I don't have it around my neck......:sad anim:

Always need a strap for walking around especially while in the park with my dogs, it's easy to accidently drop a camera!

I always use a strap. In fact I don't think I've ever took it off. Whenever I'm holding the camera the strap is wrapped around my hand just in case I drop it. I've learned the hard way that it's better to be safe than sorry.

this is a good question....i've been pondering this recently.
im finding that im using the D1h more than the d40 (i have fallen in love with the pro body...)
when i go into portrait orientation and use the other shutter button, the strap comes flopping down over the viewfinder and in my way.
i have been debating taking the strap off, but out of paranoia i have left it....maybe i'll rock it naked for awhile and see what happens...i mean it is just a d1h...i wont cry if it falls.

I ran into pretty much the same problem with the strap flopping over the viewfinder, so my solution was to use carabiner and to mount the strap to the side of the body opposite the shutter release, that way, when I rotate up to portrait, the strap falls down and out of the way :D

I can upload a pic later if you're at all interested...I find it works better than any other strap I've tried.

im finding that im using the D1h more than the d40 (i have fallen in love with the pro body...)
when i go into portrait orientation and use the other shutter button, the strap comes flopping down over the viewfinder and in my way.
i have been debating taking the strap off, but out of paranoia i have left it....maybe i'll rock it naked for awhile and see what happens...i mean it is just a d1h...i wont cry if it falls.

I ran into pretty much the same problem with the strap flopping over the viewfinder, so my solution was to use carabiner and to mount the strap to the side of the body opposite the shutter release, that way, when I rotate up to portrait, the strap falls down and out of the way :D

I can upload a pic later if you're at all interested...I find it works better than any other strap I've tried.
That's the way the Mzungu strap works, and one of the reasons I like it.

I just googled it, but not quite like the setup I've got, I still have mine around my neck, or over one shoulder but rarely draped across like he does, just feels a bit awkward to me. Mine really just solves the problem of blocking the viewfinder, or in my case, knocking off the eyecup

I just googled it, but not quite like the setup I've got, I still have mine around my neck, or over one shoulder but rarely draped across like he does, just feels a bit awkward to me. Mine really just solves the problem of blocking the viewfinder, or in my case, knocking off the eyecup
Interesting. The first time I put it on, it instantly felt like the most natural and comfortable way to wear and work a camera I'd ever tried, and that's never waned. I love the thing.

I have never used any of my DSLR straps. I find the straps annoying - often get in front of the flash or the lens. I put RRS L-brackets on all my DSLRs. For my PnS I use the factory hand strap and a small carrying case.

yeah, i would love to see your set up...if you have time, please post a pic. youve got me intrigued.

ANother vote for the Black Rapid strap. I have one and bought 2 more of the screw in rings to put on another body and one on my 70-200 tripod foot. Its much more comfortable than the neck strap in my opinion. But if I am not out shooting sports, I usually go totally strapless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back