App. Priority Help

AJ Jewell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I usually find myself using app. priority mainly because I rarely shoot things that are moving. One thing that I am confused about is: When I want to change the exposure, do I have to use the exp. compensation? When I change the app., the shutter changes to offset, leaving the exp effectively the same.

What is the normal way of changing the exposure?

well i dont know what kind of camera you have but usually there is a button that has a +/- on it and that will change your exposure

usually there is a button that has a +/- on it and that will change your exposure
That is the Exposure Compensation.

When I want to change the exposure, do I have to use the exp. compensation?
Yes.

The alternative is to use Manual mode and keep an eye on the meter. Adjust the settings so it shows above or below the centre and the results will be the same as using E.C.

You camera's auto metering system is trying to keep the same exposure, so as you change the aperture, the camera's computer will change the shutter speed and possibly the ISO to compensate. You could either use manual mode (to get full control), or use the exposure compensation.

If you use +/- EC you are effectively over/under exposing the camera meter's evaluation of wjet the right settings should be. EC is used where you know the meter is incorrect - eg a backlit scene where you need to add EC to expose the subject correctly.

If you change Shutter speed in Tv mode, the aperture will change to keep the exposure correct(as far as the camera sees it).

Your camera will not always get the exposure correct.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back