Are DSLR's Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what's meant by the question. Are we talking about the consumer public? Are we talking about working professionals?

Personally, as a professional photographer, I don't see anything supplanting my DSLR's as the "go to" choice. I just don't think it'll ever happen. Yes, I take pics with my iPhone. Yes, I use a Canon G12 for taking "fun" pictures at parties and bars. But when someone is paying me to provide them with professional images, you can bet your last dime that those images will be produced with one of my DSLR's.

I for one always enjoy watching the fanboys fight to the death to prove that DSLRs are somehow the pinnacle of human achievement.

I've not seen anyone even come close to suggesting anything so silly.

It has nothing to do with "fanboys", and everything to do with providing a client with the best results I can. My DSLR's allow me to produce the results my clients want. I've yet to come across a point & shoot, a phone or a mirrorless which does that.

Is DSLR slowly being bested by mirroless ?
Mirrorless is still not there, .

Believe me goodguy, mirrorless is there :cool-48:

I can not vouch for all mirrorless cameras, but having been shooting with X-T1 for some time I would say it is a better camera right now than most if not all Nikon DX.
FUJI X lenses for X-mirrorless are so superior to the compromised DX Nikon glass, it is not even funny.
And unlike a DSLR with it's outdated focus mirror system and, consequently, back and forth focus issues, mirrorless focuses dead on, even with a 1.2 wide open, simply because it focuses straight on the sensor.
I was a bit hesitant about buying a FUJI (even though I love their image quality and sensor) because of all that talk about the "slow AF". When I actually started shooting,I just could not help laughing.

Do any of you go out shooting instead of talking ****

87005-6278107Fr.jpg

Go on report me someone did this week
Probably because you're a grouchy old ass that contributes nothing to this site. Just my guess.

I can not vouch for all mirrorless cameras, but having been shooting with X-T1 for some time I would say it is a better camera right now than most if not all Nikon DX.
FUJI X lenses for X-mirrorless are so superior to the compromised DX Nikon glass, it is not even funny.
And unlike a DSLR with it's outdated focus mirror system and, consequently, back and forth focus issues, mirrorless focuses dead on, even with a 1.2 wide open, simply because it focuses straight on the sensor.
I was a bit hesitant about buying a FUJI (even though I love their image quality and sensor) because of all that talk about the "slow AF". When I actually started shooting,I just could not help laughing.
Like everything else in life its a matter of expectation, if it matches your expectation then for you its good and that all that counts.
I really glad you are in a happy place and enjoy your body :)

I for one always enjoy watching the fanboys fight to the death to prove that DSLRs are somehow the pinnacle of human achievement.
What, are you trying to say its not ? :eek-new:
My cellphone is the pinnacle of human achievement.
I can install an App to control my dSLR :)

Like everything else in life its a matter of expectation, if it matches your expectation then for you its good and that all that counts.

Expectations, even if met, are nothing, if we are unable turn it into images that meet the expectations :biggrin-new:

Last edited:

Expectations, even if met, are nothing, if we are unable turn it into images that meet the expectations :biggrin-new:
Ah so true, words to live by! :)

Yes. I have FF dSLRs, mirrorless MFT and mirrorless APS-C ... my dSLR is collecting dust. Mirrorless does not track action. So at this point a dSLR is still better for action. While a dSLR is still The Camera for fast action, but mirrorless can capture action well enough for most hobbyists. In good light, SAF (single frame auto focusing) is lightening fast and easily equals the focus speed of a dSLR.

Since having migrated/evolved to mirrorless I haven't touched my FF dSLR's.
Please send me all of your dSLR equipment. I'll put good use to them.

My P&S was replaced by my cell phone. The P&S is just not convenient because my iphone takes as good or better pictures than my old P&S and is alot more convenient.

But my iphone cannot compete with my dslr for what I use it for.
There's been other threads recently of "my friend says iphones are better than dslrs".
If you use the tool within the limitation of how it can be used then you are fine.
I still can't figure out how to set up remote flashes, change the aperture, optical zoom, low light, etc on my iphone.
I would, but by your handle you are Nikon ... and my FF's and my tons of L lenses are Canon.

Yes. I have FF dSLRs, mirrorless MFT and mirrorless APS-C ... my dSLR is collecting dust. Mirrorless does not track action. So at this point a dSLR is still better for action. While a dSLR is still The Camera for fast action, but mirrorless can capture action well enough for most hobbyists. In good light, SAF (single frame auto focusing) is lightening fast and easily equals the focus speed of a dSLR.

My P&S was replaced by my cell phone. The P&S is just not convenient because my iphone takes as good or better pictures than my old P&S and is alot more convenient.

There's been other threads recently of "my friend says iphones are better than dslrs".
If you use the tool within the limitation of how it can be used then you are fine.
I still can't figure out how to set up remote flashes, change the aperture, optical zoom, low light, etc on my iphone.
I would, but by your handle you are Nikon ... and my FF's and my tons of L lenses are Canon.
I can do Canon too. My AE-1 is lonely. :)

I can do Canon too. My AE-1 is lonely. :)
LOL, wrong mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back