Auto and manual

What an absolutely beautiful photo!

and yes I can undertstand time restraint....it takes a bit to really shoot in manual if you are being artistic and experimental. But thanks for showing the picture. It does say a lot!

Sorry, I knew a guy named Dubie and didn't think. Do check out that site though.

I think that you will find that as you go along you will tend to see first and shoot later and what you will see is will be pro-active rather than re-active. Or in other words you will go looking for something rather than looking at what comes to you.

The only analogy I can come up with right now for using the aperture and exposure is it's like holding a cat. You can be up close and happy with it or more distant and cool emotionally. You can play with it and hold it in different angles or be angry and show it painful positions. You can be moody and hold it in the dark or giddy and hold it on top of a roof and so forth.

Any way, it's just a matter of learning to both see through the camera and to play it to the beat of your own personal drummer.

hth

mike

I don't care for auto but I am glad it's there. If I'm just hanging out with friends and family or taking snapshoty type stuff I just put it on auto. When I am photographing horses, events or my kids (in my attempt at doing portraits....any situation where I really want controle over the image I have it on manual.

Sorry, I knew a guy named Dubie and didn't think. Do check out that site though.

I think that you will find that as you go along you will tend to see first and shoot later and what you will see is will be pro-active rather than re-active. Or in other words you will go looking for something rather than looking at what comes to you.

The only analogy I can come up with right now for using the aperture and exposure is it's like holding a cat. You can be up close and happy with it or more distant and cool emotionally. You can play with it and hold it in different angles or be angry and show it painful positions. You can be moody and hold it in the dark or giddy and hold it on top of a roof and so forth.

Any way, it's just a matter of learning to both see through the camera and to play it to the beat of your own personal drummer.

hth

mike

Thanks Mike. I did have a look too and it was helpful:)

And I'll have to disagree here. If the OP would learn to use his meter (and especially if Canon had bothered to put a Spot Meter in their Rebels) he could easily be creative with regards to exposure. It is simply a mater of exposing for a portion of the shot (much easier with a Spot Meter) and holding the AF/AE Lock button while recomposing and then shooting. With practice using manual mode is Easier but not necessary.

For a look at this The OP might take a look at this...http://planetneil.com/tangents/exposure-metering/

(don't you love it when someone else does all the work)

mike

Mike that's my point..... You say you disagree but your post just reaffirms all my points. Now you too are advising to learn to expose correctly :)

Auto does what the camera thinks is correct - and as you will know the camera gets it wrong plenty of times.

Switch to aperture priority - the camera will choose an appropriate shutter speed and you can control the depth of field to suit your shot. Now take a shot and learn from it. If you find that it's under exposed, think why. Was the subject back lit? Was the subject white? etc. Then learn to use exposure compensation to get a correct exposure.

Metering is only a part of the creative process as you need to first think what look you want. There ate many "correct" exposures for each subject you might want to shoot but you need to create what you think is the look you want. Auto will not allow you to do this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back