Bad sensor or bad card?

impressme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I handful of photos that I took last Sunday had this bar along the bottom of the photo (or the side if held in portrait). These were all shot in jpeg with a shoe mount flash. I've since shot with my camera over the past few days in both raw and jpeg with no issues. I've never had this happen before, so is it an issue with my sensor or my card?

I must say I'm a bit nervous that it's my sensor since I've only got 8500 shots on this camera.

(side note: I try to always reformat my card after transferring and clearing photos from my disk if that makes a difference.)

Thanks for your help and let me know if you guys need more info!

3145518638_b75630fc13.jpg

3144697453_94630b37b7.jpg

I would think if it was the sensor, it would be in the same place every time, not moving when you rotate the camera. The bands look like bits of different pictures. Could be your card, but could also be the software/hardware in your camera that process and saves the file. Might also be the software you are using to import your pictures to your computer.

I don't know what's wrong with it, if I were you I would try a different card, I would still be worried as well.... maybe google what's happening and see if anyone else has had a similar problem?

Do you see the lines when reviewed on the camera?
First try a new card.
Then try a different import option.
Then send in for maintenance, and include a photo and description of the issue.

Do you see the lines when reviewed on the camera?
First try a new card.
Then try a different import option.
Then send in for maintenance, and include a photo and description of the issue.

No I don't believe I've seen the lines when I reviewed them in camera. I usually use the Canon EOS utility but I have been known on occasion to go through Bridge and move them that way.

Are you using mac or pc?
If mac, try image capture, PC just drag and drop, format the card twice after in camera, then look at them in camera, then try on computer again.

I had the same thing happen to me and my problem was a bad sensor. There was a service advisory posted for certain models of Canon cameras. The EOS was not included, but I would contact Canon anyway. Those models had sensor problems and the advisory posted a recall. I sent my camera in and Canon repaired it for free. Try this URL: Support - Digital Camera - PowerShot SD400 - Canon USA Consumer Products
I was really impressed. You send Canon an e-mail explaining the problem; they will send you an e-mail containing a UPS label and a service order. It usually takes about 2 weeks to get your camera back. Good Luck!

I spoke with Canon and they said that they've had similar calls. They said that usually its an issue with the card (specifically SanDisk). They recommended that I try new cards first and if I still have a problem to bring it into the service center- Luckily, the NJ service center is 2 towns away from me so I don't have to send it.

Weird, Sandisk is the best brand of cards, used by professionals. Foolish of Canon not to provide support for them. Best of luck.

I spoke with Canon and they said that they've had similar calls. They said that usually its an issue with the card (specifically SanDisk). They recommended that I try new cards first and if I still have a problem to bring it into the service center- Luckily, the NJ service center is 2 towns away from me so I don't have to send it.
I've heard of the same issue with the XS and the XSi and SanDisk SD memory cards. Haven't heard any bad things about Lexar or Kingston SD memory cards used with the XS and XSi.

Which exact SanDisk model SD memory cards are you using?

Just FYI, an "internet friend" of mine on another non-photography forum where we have a photo thread going has something similar that just started with his images. He thinks it is the sensor/shutter as he has over 90k actuations on it. His is an XT.

I've heard of the same issue with the XS and the XSi and SanDisk SD memory cards. Haven't heard any bad things about Lexar or Kingston SD memory cards used with the XS and XSi.

Which exact SanDisk model SD memory cards are you using?

I've been using the 4gb Ultra II class 4. Canon said that Lexar or Kingston or PNY were good.

It's really odd that Canon claims it to be SanDisk memory cards. Have you had this problem before (with a SanDisk)? If not, then I'd recommend a reset. There's either a small button that you'll need to push with a pinhead near the battery, or there is a software reset (known as the two-button reset on Nikons).

If it turns out to be the memory card, then you might want to ask Canon to give you a replacement or a refund on the card. It might not work, but if you don't ask...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back