Battery grip for D7000?

...... If a 3rd party grip had done something to the electronics you can rest assured that Nikon would never repair it under warranty. ..........

Does anyone have any actual cases to back this up? Is there an actual instance that has been documented where a 3rd-party grip screwed an under-warranty camera up and Nikon refused to fix it?

...... If a 3rd party grip had done something to the electronics you can rest assured that Nikon would never repair it under warranty. ..........

Does anyone have any actual cases to back this up? Is there an actual instance that has been documented where a 3rd-party grip screwed an under-warranty camera up and Nikon refused to fix it?

I have never seen this, but maybe if someone was dumb enough to tell Nikon they used a $40 3rd party grip lol

....i've got a third (maybe 4th?) party grip.Had it over a year and a half,with absolutely no problems.Its not like its overly complicated piece of equipment.

....i've got a third (maybe 4th?) party grip.Had it over a year and a half,with absolutely no problems.Its not like its overly complicated piece of equipment.

Its not complicated no, just a bunch of dials and switches, what bothers me now having thought about how intricate the connections to the camera are on the D7000 is the fact that if those electronics somehow shorted out in the grip (through shoddy chinese electronics) they could potentialy short something out in the camera itself.
As i mentioned earlier i've had my 3rd party mieke grip for over a year, I'm confident now that its a good example having used it extensively during that time, but theres no doubt in my mind as good as i consider it to be for the money, that its anywhere near as good a quality as the genuine grip.
When i first got my D7000 i never gave this potential problem a second thought, but having heard more and more about failing grips i don't think i would buy another 3rd party one.
Even if you tried a warranty claim against Nikon, and neglected to tell them you had been using a 3rd party grip, and somehow they didn't look into why it failed too deeply and repaired it for you....would it be worth the grief.

normally i would say Nikon all the way, I went the cheaper route and bought a Mieke, less than half the price and mines still going strong over a year and over 10,000 shots later. the only issue i would say is the lettering on the buttons is just starting to fade off.
Ok i got lucky, I have obviously heard of 3rd party grips failing very early on, so my advise would be buy Nikon. but you might get lucky and end up with a good 3rd party one that does what its supposed to.

Same here, mine has worked flawlessly for 14,000 shots....love it

Probably not, but common sense states that if a non-Nikon component caused the damage that Nikon isn't going to repair it. Maybe some people would think that though.

Probably not, but common sense states that if a non-Nikon component caused the damage that Nikon isn't going to repair it. Maybe some people would think that though.

OK, so will they ask about any 3-rd party equipment that may have been used? Lenses? Batteries? Chargers?

Memory cards?

OK, so will they ask about any 3-rd party equipment that may have been used? Lenses? Batteries? Chargers?

Memory cards?

Beats me. All I know is that most warranties have exclusions to exclude damage caused by non-manufacturer accessories. How they go about determining what caused the damage is up to them. Electronic devices, especially those that are microprocessor-controlled are pretty intelligent. Nikon devices are no exception.

Beats me. All I know is that most warranties have exclusions to exclude damage caused by non-manufacturer accessories. How they go about determining what caused the damage is up to them. Electronic devices, especially those that are microprocessor-controlled are pretty intelligent. Nikon devices are no exception.

My guess is it would cost them far, far more to determine for a fact that a 3-rd party device caused the damage than it costs to just fix the thing.

My guess is it would cost them far, far more to determine for a fact that a 3-rd party device caused the damage than it costs to just fix the thing.

You could be right. Sometimes it's going to be obvious though. For example (and I admit this is an off-the-wall example but it's the first thing that came to mind), Nikon knows for an absolute fact that none of their lenses or TC's have a rear element that will ever extend back far enough into the mirror box to cause a problem. Let's say that someone sends a camera in for a mirror repair that could only have been caused by the mirror smacking into the rear element of a cheap knock-off teleconverter, a repair that they have seen a hundred times and it's always exactly the same and always for the same reason. One that they have reproduced in their labs, and they KNOW for absolute CERTAIN that the scratches on the mirror were caused by it hitting a specific portion of that knock-off TC. Do they repair it over and over and over and over again or do they finally lay down the law and say, "No More!" knowing that they will lose a customer over it?

I don't know the answer to that question. I do know that, if it were my company, I would write my warranty to cover the eventuality so that if I CHOSE to refuse the repair I'd be within my legal rights to do so. I do know that at some point I would get tired of fixing repairs such as that and do something about it, but I don't know what that something would be.

Damn, this thread just makes me want the Nikon grip.

I may need to call B&H.... and my bank.

Well although I have heard of instance of 3rd party grips going bad. I have yet to hear of an instance where one went bad and actually damaged the camera itself. You take a risk in anything you do or buy. some people will take more risk with some items then they will with others.

I have used a cheap knockoff for well over a year now. Only issue is the tray tab broke off, but it took a year for that to happen. So I pulled the one off the AA tray and used it... no more opening the battery tray with the tab.

Just the other day I dropped the dime on a $49 MB-D14 knockoff for my D600.

I have used a cheap knockoff for well over a year now. Only issue is the tray tab broke off, but it took a year for that to happen. So I pulled the one off the AA tray and used it... no more opening the battery tray with the tab.

Just the other day I dropped the dime on a $49 MB-D14 knockoff for my D600.

...you're such a rebel,sparky!! :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Most reactions

Back