Beginner Camera

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Mark78, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Mark78

Mark78 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What would be a good beginner's camera, for someone who loves shooting scenery? I have a FUJIFILM Finepix S5100. I like it but the stabilizer sucks, the blur ruins some really nice shots. Any suggestions?

2. Ptyler22

Ptyler22 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What is your budget? Are you looking for a beginner point and shoot, or an SLR?

3. Mark78

Mark78 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    SLR, less than 600 dollars, is roughly the range.

4. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

As for the low end DSLR cameras, there are few of them in the market. Most of them are pretty good. Go to dpreview.com or other review sites and check them out first. Then go to a store and play with them and see if one of them you like better.

5. nymtber

nymtber TPF Noob!

I honestly think the BEST DSLR under $600 right now is the Sony A200. Yes I could be a little biased since I own one, but it comes with a pretty nice kit lens, Built in the camera Image stabilization (sony calls it "super steady shot") and the ability to use any Minolta AF lens made since 1985. There is also the Canon Rebel XT, which is a good camera with a great following. Nikon makes nicer lower end DSLR's, but if you wanted to use an older lens, the low end nikons dont have a built in autofocus motor, and most older lenses would be manual focus only, canons all have the motor in the lens, and sony incorporates the motor into the camera.

The only thing I wish sony would implement on the A200 is a mirror lock up feature on the 2 second timer. While it isnt a big issue it helps make landscape and sometimes macro shots even better when using slower shutter speeds (even on a tripod). Maybe somone will release a firmware update for it...*dreams*

theres also olympus and pentax, but I dont know much at all about them.

6. kcon

kcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The nikon d40 is pretty popular;)

7. tonywuhl

tonywuhl TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The d40 is great

8. Kegger

Kegger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can always pick up a used D70 or D50 and be able to use the non AF-S lenses.

You can generally find them for under 600 on ebay or amazon.

Edit: Here's a link with a bunch that are pretty cheap and come with glass Click

9. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It all depends what you plan to do. If you are not planning on getting big with your photography and just want something for nice pictures, the D40 is really nice. It has very nice high ISO performance and really good quality pictures.

If you plan to get into it more down the road then a used D70s or D50 might be better as it will let you use a wider range of lenses with autofocus.

Don't rule out the Rebel XT which is a good camera as well or even the XTI (which is just a hair above your budget I believe).

Sony is good too as are most DSLR's from large name manufacturers. Do as said before and look on DPReview at the different cameras in your budget.

Most importantly, go into a store and feel some of the different cameras as the feel will mean a lot. You will also be able to play around with each and see which one fits YOU best. Obviously this is hard to do with the D70s/D50 as they are all used now but you can gauge the feel of the Nikon's by the D40-D80 and the D70s/D50 are both on par with the same feel in my opinion.

10. Crazydad

Crazydad No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    At the risk of starting a Nikon vs.Canon debate, I have to say I love my D60. And the D40 is great too. The Canons just didn't feel right in my hands.

The issue about these 2 not handling old Nikon lenses doesn't seem to make sense to me. If, like me, this is your first SLR then you probably don't have any lenses anyway. You are going to aquire the ones you want as you go.

Best thing to do is go check them out for yourself at a good camera store. Hold them, play with the menus, etc. To see which one feels best to you.

11. Crazydad

Crazydad No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry for the repetition. NateS beat me. Darn meetings!

12. LynziMarie

LynziMarie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree...
    you can't just take any one persons word on it... you'll really just have to figure it out for yourself. No one knows what you want better than... well... you! :wink: