Best Film Camera

Soul Rebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If I had a $200-$300 budget and I wanted to get a good film SLR.....what are a few choices that you all would recommend?

The way I see it...there are two (or three) ways to go here.

One way, as Mark pointed out, is to get a good quality manual focus SLR. It will have to be used, but a lot of those old cameras were made really well and will still work well. A benefit is that they they are cheap and they are simple. They won't have all the bells & whistles that new cameras have. Example, Canon AE-1.

Another way would be to get a new Auto focus camera. You can get one with all sorts of modern features and stuff like that. A new camera will be sure to work properly or at least be covered by a warranty. Also, the lenses will be compatible with current Digital SLR cameras if you head down that road. Example, Canon EOS Rebel series.

Another option would be to buy a used autofocus camera. Maybe something a little older but not more than 10 or 15 years old. You could get a better class of body than if you bought new. Example, Canon EOS Elan series or EOS 3.

Search ebay.

You'll need to be prepared to ask the right questions and send it back if it isn't right but if you persevere you will get a really good deal.

I just bought an EOS 630 with 35-80mm lens for $60. Not top of the range but still a tough camera with a few useful features.

My dad gave me his Canon T50. I havent had a chance to do any research yet so I dont know where it stands in terms of quality. The first few photos I took were horrible and I immediately went back to the autofocus that my mother got me for christmas a few years back. They looked good on the surface but after further inspection the quality just wasnt there.

I just got back from taking some photos and this will be the test. If they turn out and I am happy with the quality I think I am going to stick with this and save up for a decent digital SLR in the future. Lets just hope they turned out:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back