Buy a D80 now?

hacksaw35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have had my D80 for over a year now and have really enjoyed it as my first "real" camera.

I've got a friend who wants to break into photography and he just asked me if he should buy a D80 as well.

I haven't really been keeping up on reviews, but I realize that the technology is ever changing and how fast cameras get old...so is the D80 still a great choice or would you recommend something else? $700-$1000 range

hmm the only new body out this year that I have heard of in the beginner amature range is the Canon 450D - however many have not considered this to be a big improvment of the 400D - more a numbers improvment than an improvment in technology.
Nikon are also supposed to be bringing out a new camera to rivel the 450 but I don't know more than that.
In the end though for starting out I would say that a low end body is a good place to start - so much more of the shot comes from the photographer and from the lens than from the body itself. I have seen amazing shots on the low end canon amature digital (350D) because of skill and of good lenses.
I would say its worthwhile recomending such a camera to start with. If you can find out if your friend has any key areas of interest (say they want to do macro or wildlife or potrates) then suggesting a good lens for that range

I have had my D80 for over a year now and have really enjoyed it as my first "real" camera.

I've got a friend who wants to break into photography and he just asked me if he should buy a D80 as well.

Logic tells me if the D80 was the camera that works for you when you begins than it should be the right choice for your friend as well, considering this will be his 1st camera.

The D80 is probably the next to be upgraded by Nikon, but it still is a great choice, don't even consider canon, after all you want all your friends to be on the same lens mount, better for sharing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back