buy in: Consumer/Prosumer?

dcmoody23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know, I know, another post by some noob idiot.. This is the beginner's forum though, fyi :p

Okay, quick background - I'm an absolute art enthusiast (painting, drawing, sculpture, critique, etc.) but don't know the first thing about cameras and photography.. I plan to buy a camera very soon (I'm hoping this week!) but don't know what to get. In my last post the responses were overwhelmingly Nikon D90, but now I'm beginning to wonder if I should sink the money into a prosumer level camera instead? I know photography is going to be a lifelong obsession, and I don't want to have to upgrade within the next year.. I have a job where I make about $100 worth of saving money each week (after deducting taxes and my own expenses [gas, girls :p]). A loan is an option for me through my grandfather, and I have around $1500 saved (plus a $250ish paycheck from vacation coming my way).. It's just that this is going to be a huge investment for me and I want to make the right choice.
So, what do you guys think? I've been looking a little at the Nikon D300s but I want something that won't overwhelm me and that I can learn to master (even if it takes a while)

Sorry for the longggggg post, but thanks for any responses.

Oh & I want something so that if & when I do upgrade I won't have a problem using the lenses I buy for the camera (if that's possible?)

Last edited:
Get a Canon 5dMKII.
You'll love it.
You'll won't need to upgrade.

Depending on what you want to shoot. Buy the D90, and be happy, and spend the rest of your money on glass.

The D90 is the top of Nikon's consumer class; 'some people' might consider the D90 to be a prosumer camera, and consider the D300s to be a semi-pro or pro backup camera. Definitions are imprecise; if you want the current enthusiast's top Nikon, it would probably be the D300s.

I like Bitter Jeweler's suggestion of a Canon 5D Mark II with the exception that the body lacks several critical features. Mostly, it lacks a pop-up flash and the remote flash control that gives,and it is lacking in autofocus capabilities. Image quality is nice, but the AF system is lacking for a FF body. I have the original 5D, and find the centrally-located AF lacking in performance indoors or in flat lighting.

If you're not sure about what you want, you really owe it to yourself to go to a store and handle the potential choices. Until you've laid hands on the cameras, it's difficult to get a sense of where the cameras actually "fit"; the 5D Mark II is a $2,700 camera with an AF system that is below that of the D90. If you want to drop $2,700, a D700 would be the obvious choice.

If you want to spend $1700-ish on a body, then the Canon 7D needs to be considered. Really, try and get to a store and handle the potential choices; one camera ought to rise to the top.

Just get the Nikon d90 like derrel said many consider the d90 a prosumer camera and the d300s a semi-pro, as do I. If you really just want to but something that you will never have to upgrade, get the D700 or a D3S or D3X. Bottom line get the d90 you won't need to upgrade for a few years. Buying something to high will only make you mad and maybe give up.

I will recommend go to a store and try them. See which one gives you a bigger grin without breaking the bank.

I have a couple of suggestions.....
Firstly, it's possible to rent out camera gear from some shops for a day or a weekend. It can be expensive, but it's a good way to get an idea about what camera or lens suits you before splashing out on your very own kit.

Secondly, as camera gear can be quite expensive, i've often bought second had kit, and also to make it cheaper, bought a model that is not in production. E.g. a brand new Canon 5D Mark 2 will cost a lot but you can get a good second hand Canon 5D Mk1 for less than half the price of the Mk2.

If you've got money to spend though, obviously go for the best that's out there!!

Thanks for all the responses..

I like the idea of going and checking them out, but there's a major problem in that I live in Maine and I'm not anywhere close to any photo stores.. The best thing I can get my hands on is a Rebel XSi from my local Wal-Mart..
I do have Sunday off though, so maybe I could make a trip ... But, I will definitely study up on the higher grade cameras throughout the week.
Another quick question: What's more important for me to get? A great camera, or great glass?

Thanks.

Any thoughts on a used Nikon D300? Since the 300s has came out, I can now get the body for around $1200..

What part of Maine are you in?

so call me a killjoy but I've got to ask why you are looking at $1,500 cameras on a $400/month take home income. dont forget the expenses don't stop with buying the body, that is only the beginning. not going to tell you how to spend your money, but how about something used to start?

so call me a killjoy but I've got to ask why you are looking at $1,500 cameras on a $400/month take home income. dont forget the expenses don't stop with buying the body, that is only the beginning. not going to tell you how to spend your money, but how about something used to start?

Because I'm fortunate enough to have over $10K invested in stocks (from my grandfather [but i'd like to leave that untouched if possible]), I'm a serious amateur artist, & I can use the pictures in my portfolio, I have $1500 already saved, I can easily take out a low interest loan, my mother is going to pay $550 towards anything I get (because she got me a Rebel XS for Christmas, but then we both decided I could afford and should upgrade), I want a body that will last me a while, and I'm making my purchase now.. I can always buy a different lens when I save up the money, but I don't want to have to retool everything when I upgrade cameras..
Does this answer your question? & yes, I am considering something used to start... Of course I want to spend as little as possible, but because I'm so serious about this I want something that will exceed standards & I can learn with.. As it's said, something along the lines of 'You will grow as a photographer, but your camera won't grow with you'..

& also I would love to have something serious quality that I can sell my work with when I begin to get good with it.

Last edited:
Well if you go for a d90 or d300(s) go with FX lenses. They will be more expensive but if you do upgrade down the road to Full Frame the DX lenses won't work or they will but no where near how they were meant to be on a crop body. Check out the D90 or a used d300. Good luck
TJ

Most reactions

Back