Buyers remorse

maggie83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone else feel a little buyer's remorse after buying a dslr? I have a little point and shoot Canon from 2011 that I love - great images and coloring. But I wanted something better for an upcoming trip, something with more features, but definitely DID NOT want a dslr. Too expensive, too heavy, too bulky. But as it turns out, nicer point and shoots were several hundred dollars more than a basic dslr, so I ended up getting a Nikon 3400 and a 35mm lens. I had always kind of wanted a dslr anyway, so why not? And in the 6 weeks that I've had it, I've truly enjoyed getting into it and learning all about ISO, shutter speed, etc. But today I took it out on a day-long outing for the first time (a hike). And man, was it a pain. Heavy. Constantly digging it out of my bag. Standing out in a crowd of people taking pictures with their iPhones. And I'm still learning about lighting and which settings are best, so I felt like I spent so much time trying to figure out why my pictures were still washed out, instead of snapping a shot and enjoying the view. I really missed my little point and shoot. Sure, it only has 12 megapixels, but it's so light and convenient, and still always gave me crisp pictures. So, my question(s): has anyone else regretted their purchase? Am I going to frustrate myself on my trip next month because I still don't have it all figured out yet? Should I just bring the faithful point and shoot and save the dslr for family portraits?

Not exactly the same, but several years ago I changed from my entry level DSLR straight to the best and most expensive DSLR that was available by then which was the Canon 1Ds Mark II. I went from 6megapixels to 16megapixels and was expecting a much bigger difference in image quality than there actually was. So I was a bit frustrated in the beginning considering the price point. However, I soon started to love that awesome new camera.
You have to get used to it, so give it some time.
If you want to get the most out of your DSLR, you have to shoot RAW and do at least a little post processing (many people use lightroom, but there is other software that does the trick). If that is not what you think you like doing, you might be better off with a point and shoot.
It all depends on what your driving force is. If it is the best image quality, a camera with changable lenses and a bigger sensor like your 3400 is the way to go. If you are looking for a quick and easy to use solution to get some nice memories, the "always with you camera" is better. The shot you don´t get because you didn´t want to bring your camera with you, or get it out of the pocket, is a missed one.
Photography sounds quite intimidating in the beginning. But don´t give up yet - it is way easier than you think - and very rewarding ;).

Sounds like a DSLR may not be right for you. Mirrorless cameras are smaller.

Instead of a point and shoot I would say use an iPhone with the Moment Lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maggie, I understand completely. I moved from DSLR to mirroless recently and won't ever go back. I agree with Guru above. Get an interchangeable lens mirrorless for serious photography and carry a cell phone on the trail.

So, my question(s): has anyone else regretted their purchase? Am I going to frustrate myself on my trip next month because I still don't have it all figured out yet? Should I just bring the faithful point and shoot and save the dslr for family portraits?
I've regretted many purchases, but not right away.

Yes, leave the DSLR at home, and pick it up again when you return. You'll eventually like it, but you need to relax and enjoy photography as a hobby.

Standing out in a crowd of people taking pictures with their iPhones. And I'm still learning about lighting and which settings are best, so I felt like I spent so much time trying to figure out why my pictures were still washed out, instead of snapping a shot and enjoying the view.

that's what auto mode is for; a mirrorless camera or PNS camera operates no differently from a DSLR.

Just to be clear here for everyone though:

This d3400 w/35mm 1.8G combo weighs in at a whopping 1.3lbs.
The a6100 (aps-c) with the Sony 35mm 1.8 lens weighs in at a 1.1lbs.

and youre still not fitting on of those things in your pocket...

Last edited:
A dslr is going to give you more creative control of your photos (depth of field, and exposure) in ways you just can't get with a point and shoot. If this appeals to you in the long term, stick with it. Remember that your DSLR has an "auto" mode that turns it into a big point and shoot. You can use auto to make sure you get the shot, and then experiment with the other modes to see if you can do better than the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In short, no.

I loved my little point and shoot but I think I can leverage the extra functions on a DSLR better. There are still occasions where I'd like a point and shoot though.

I think the problem was not knowing how to use the camera that well before the trip. Might be better to take along the p&s til you learn how to use the DSLR which takes time to get good at it; there's more to using a DSLR than what you've been used to doing with a p&s. Keep learning and practicing with it and down the road on a trip you could probably enjoy using it and could get some nice photos with it.

I bought a D7200 as an upgrade to my first DSLR, D3300. I was totally bummed because I think I got a lemon. I was even more frustrated sending it in and get it back from Nikon saying nothing was wrong with it. I just couldn't get any lenses to hit the focus point accurately. I was told I had to tweak my all my lens. Spent hours doing it and it actually got worse. So, I dumped all of it, started over with the Fujifilm X-T2 and am very happy with it. Everything works as it should, no calibration, pop a lens on and confidently know where I focus, it will be sharp. So yes, I had buyers remorse but for different reasons than you.

As I read about your buyer's remorse, I'm really looking at the reasons behind it. So for example...

You mentioned that on a long (hiking) outing it was heavy, constantly digging it out of the bag, etc.

When I got my first DLSR & kit lens, it wasn't too heavy per se... but I wasn't using it "all day". When I did start using it "all day", I found that it was too inconvenient to be pulling it out of the bag and putting it back... so I just wanted to wear it on my neck. The problem with that is the strap isn't very comfortable for 'all day' wearing. Add to that that much of the weight is the large amount of glass in the lens (especially big heavy low-focal ratio zoom lenses).

The solution wasn't necessarily a different camera... but a different way to carry the camera.

Once I switched to a sling-type strap, the weight is on the shoulder opposite the camera (you wear it across your body like a sash). The camera slides up the strap (there are some stopping clamps that you can set to limit the travel). So now the camera is always at your side, but very comfortable.

I found that was fine for most walking around things... but occasionally I'll ride a mountain bike through trails to reach a spot and the camera wants to dangle forward. The easy fix for that was to get a carabiner and just clip it to a belt loop so it can't swing around.

I own more than one bag. I have big roller bags that can carry lots of gear. I have smaller waist-bags that just carry an extra lens or two. I have a ThinkTank "belt" (think "bat belt") that let me attach accessory-specific bags (I have a bag for each lens, flash, and even a couple of holster bags that attach for the camera.) I'll customize that based on what I need to carry and that way nothing is swinging around.

Anyway... if there's a message, it's this: If you're going to use a camera "all day", then you may want to find a way to make it comfortable. There are lots of solutions.

I do not ALWAYS take my DSLR. While it certainly is my favorite, there are lots of things I can do with a real DSLR that I can't do with my iPhone. But then there are those sorts of shots where I'd just set a broad depth of field and a wide angle and... hey, that's pretty much what an iPhone does. No need to drag the DSLR out if that's the sort of shot I want.

There are places where I either cannot take my DSLR (venues that don't permit "professional" cameras unless you have a photo pass) and there are places where I *should* not take my DSLR (I could take it, but it might be at risk of damage, theft, etc. ) I'm happy to either take my phone... but I also have an advanced point & shoot (lets me do most of what my DSLR can do, but doesn't have a removable lens).

In the right situations, your DSLR can help you create images that your phone would never be able to capture. ...just not in every situation. Sometimes the phone is enough.

Does anyone else feel a little buyer's remorse after buying a dslr? I have a little point and shoot Canon from 2011 that I love - great images and coloring. But I wanted something better for an upcoming trip, something with more features, but definitely DID NOT want a dslr. Too expensive, too heavy, too bulky. But as it turns out, nicer point and shoots were several hundred dollars more than a basic dslr, so I ended up getting a Nikon 3400 and a 35mm lens. I had always kind of wanted a dslr anyway, so why not? And in the 6 weeks that I've had it, I've truly enjoyed getting into it and learning all about ISO, shutter speed, etc. But today I took it out on a day-long outing for the first time (a hike). And man, was it a pain. Heavy. Constantly digging it out of my bag. Standing out in a crowd of people taking pictures with their iPhones. And I'm still learning about lighting and which settings are best, so I felt like I spent so much time trying to figure out why my pictures were still washed out, instead of snapping a shot and enjoying the view. I really missed my little point and shoot. Sure, it only has 12 megapixels, but it's so light and convenient, and still always gave me crisp pictures. So, my question(s): has anyone else regretted their purchase? Am I going to frustrate myself on my trip next month because I still don't have it all figured out yet? Should I just bring the faithful point and shoot and save the dslr for family portraits?

you should have got a mirrorless camera and pancake style lens - - small, light (pocket size!) - perfect for traveling
And mirrorless can still use the big DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I disagree. Mirrorless is not everybody's best choice. And a pancake lens being your only lens? Not for me, thank you.

I don't plan on trading my camera in for mirrorless, but thanks all for the comments - you gave me lots to think about! I remembered that my original desire for a "big fancy camera" was so I could take nice family portraits and artsy pictures when I'm feeling creative. So perhaps I just need to save it for those occasions and keep the point and shoot for the spontaneous day adventures when I want to travel light and free.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back