C&C Please

when it comes down to it what matters is whether you like the photos. i've long thought there's a difference between asking for c&c and asking for help. if what you need is help maybe try asking for that instead of c&c. you may get a different response.

as for help, i notice in the first pic that you used iso800, shutter of 1/800 and f/9. matching the iso to shutter in daylight is a good place to start but there's no need to use iso800. you'd get a cleaner result using iso200 and 1/200 of a second (unless the truck was moving but it looks like it was pulled over). it looked a bit cloudy so the f/9 was probably a good place to start too. what mode was your camera in?

it may be a bit much to take in now but if you shot in raw and did basic pp work you could make the colors pop more, as of now they look a bit drab.

it's in manual mode but it's also set to jpeg fine and not nef raw + jpeg fine cause i don't know how to convert it to upload to photobucket and flikr?

i feel really dumb asking this cause i should probably already know but what does iso mean and actually do?

go to your library and pickup the book called Understanding Exposure. it will help you understand probably most of the questions you have as well as many you didn't know you had.

i feel really dumb asking this cause i should probably already know but what does iso mean and actually do?

go to your library and pickup the book called Understanding Exposure. it will help you understand probably most of the questions you have as well as many you didn't know you had.

ha i just got the book learning to see creatively

i dont know that one but i would think you should understand how to use your cameras settings and what they do before trying to get too creative. start with Understanding Exposure.

i dont know that one but i would think you should understand how to use your cameras settings and what they do before trying to get too creative. start with Understanding Exposure.

ok well do you know how to convert from nef files to jpeg?

I'm new...don't expect sugar coating and hand holding on here. this is a place to learn good from bad photography. Like has already been said, PP can't fix boring. I've posted mostly crappy stuff on here and sometimes you just need someone else to tell you it's junk for you to be able to recognize it. So don't take it personally, learn from it, experiment, and then repost some stuff after you think you're made some improvements. I've only been at this since Christmas time, too, so I feel you on the frustration. You just want to be good NOW, but I'm learning that it takes time and you'll never be as good as you want to be (meaning there is ALWAYS room for learning and improvement). But really don't be so defensive and don't post a C&C and not expect to get C&C!

Keep practicing!

ok well do you know how to convert from nef files to jpeg?

Download ViewNX from Nikon's website (free). It will give you basic editing capabilities like sharpening, exposure, color boost, etc... and allow you to convert/save your nefs into jpegs.

I'm new...don't expect sugar coating and hand holding on here. this is a place to learn good from bad photography. Like has already been said, PP can't fix boring. I've posted mostly crappy stuff on here and sometimes you just need someone else to tell you it's junk for you to be able to recognize it. So don't take it personally, learn from it, experiment, and then repost some stuff after you think you're made some improvements. I've only been at this since Christmas time, too, so I feel you on the frustration. You just want to be good NOW, but I'm learning that it takes time and you'll never be as good as you want to be (meaning there is ALWAYS room for learning and improvement). But really don't be so defensive and don't post a C&C and not expect to get C&C!

Keep practicing!

The only problem with this (not singling you out at all) is that he hasn't gotten hardly any c&c. People saying "Boring" or "snapshots" is not c&c and these people need to keep their comments to themselves in my opinion...unless they have some valuable c&c to offer. Stating "the photos are boring" is not going to help anybody in any way.

To the OP, I will give you some actual c&c since so few have offered to do so in here.

1. Blurry. You say that it's because you were shooting from a moving car. Don't use excuses, just fix the problem that caused the excuse. Next time jump out of the car...practice panning and other types of shots.

2. It really isn't an interesting subject. If you are going to do this type of photo then try to be creative....maybe set the camera down and put it on a timer...get some long exposures of water coming out of the faucet....things like that.

3. Well, it is extremely lacking in contrast. Fixing these contrast issues would help a lot.

4. Not bad. I prefer the second edit just because it follows the rules of thirds a little more and is thus more appealing.

I would suggest you go to youtube. Search for the following things and some tutorials will pop up explaining how to do them and what they are used for.

Search for:

Levels (or "adjusting levels")
Curves (or "adjusting curves")

These two tools will help you get the exposures and colors more "correct" in post processing. And as was previously mentioned, pick up the book Understanding Exposure.

thanx everyone except the troll kid you can leave, but im going to work now so i'll try stuff tomorrow.

There are some great tutorials out there for photoshop. Also you can add actions to photoshop where everything is done for you and all you have to do is adjust slightly. It may help until you get the hang of it. You can get some great free actions from CoffeeShop Free PS/PSE Actions!.
Because I'm a beginner too ive learned that looking at professional photographers websites can be a great help. I look at the way their subjects were composed or how they arranged the subject to get a specific look. I then try and recreate it with my own style of photography.
Don't let a couple of bad apples ruin the bunch. Keep posting and practicing and you'll begin to see improvement. Good Luck!

There are some great tutorials out there for photoshop. Also you can add actions to photoshop where everything is done for you and all you have to do is adjust slightly. It may help until you get the hang of it. You can get some great free actions from CoffeeShop Free PS/PSE Actions!.
Because I'm a beginner too ive learned that looking at professional photographers websites can be a great help. I look at the way their subjects were composed or how they arranged the subject to get a specific look. I then try and recreate it with my own style of photography.
Don't let a couple of bad apples ruin the bunch. Keep posting and practicing and you'll begin to see improvement. Good Luck!

ha thanx ye i have some really good ideas and i picture the outcome but i never get the outcome i want. also some good ideas for the future meaning spring and clear summer nights. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back