canon 10d

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Tyboarder57, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Tyboarder57

Tyboarder57 TPF Noob!

just wondering if anyone thought this camera was a worth while beginner, if looked at some reviews and from what i got from it its a great starter DSLR and the only difference between it and the 20d is a larger sensor and some cool add-ons.

2. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

The 10d while about four years old is still an excellent dSLR and I believe at least one of the regulars here uses one with great results. However I'm curious as to why you're interested in the 10d as a 'beginner' camera rather than the newer 350d or 400d. Is it because these lack something, or have you just found a 10d for a particularly good price?

3. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    A 10D is great, and if you can get one for a good price, go for it. They have a nicer build than any of the Rebels. The image quality of the 10D's sensor is fantastic, and you'll enter into the Canon line of equipment, which features great lenses and accessories.

4. TBaraki

TBaraki TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A friend of mine has shot a 10D for the last few years with wonderful results. It's a very nice camera.

5. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I have a 5D, but still use my 10D on a regular basis. It's a great camera. If there's anything specific you'd like to ask, let me know.

Pete

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The one lacking trait (if you can call it that) of the 10D, is that it wasn't made to be compatible with Canon's EF-S lenses...while all the Digital Rebels, 20D, 30D etc. are. Although, that shouldn't be a real problem...I think the 'digital' lenses from other companies will work fine.

7. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Big mike makes a good point - the crop factor and lack of EF-S lenses means it will probably be expensive to get a wide angle shot since you'll have to buy an expensive lens along the lines of Canon 17-40 or even 16-35. Other manufacturer's will be cheaper but the quality may not be as good.

If landscapes and wide angles aren't your thing then you'll be laughing - a great camera and wide selection of lenses.

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not necessarily, lenses like the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 or the 18-70 F2.8-4...are all pretty good lenses that are much cheaper than the Canon 17-40 L or 16-35 L.

9. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use the Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8~4 and I find it's quality to be fantastic. I read many many reviews before purchasing it, as I was considering the 17-40. It seemed to be reviewed higher.

I personally am avoiding any EF-S glass.

10. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    how do the lenses you mention rank in quality when compared to the Canon 17-40 f4 or 16-35 f2.8?
    I imagined that they'd be good but not quite AS good as the canon branded ones.

11. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is this the lens you mean matt?

12. Azuth

Azuth TPF Noob!

The 10D has significant noise at high ISO, in line with the 300D. The 20D & 30D perform a lot better with ISO 400 and up.