Canon EOS 300D Problem

Naominess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.

I use a Canon EOS 300-D with a 18-55 lens. I have had no problems using this except when it comes to concerts (for example). Unless I use the flash, I just can't get decent pictures, and often using flash just isn't an option anyway.

I think the main problem is for some reason I can't get the aperture lower than 4.5. I've even tried re-setting all the camera settings, but I just can't figure out what the problem is. I know someone with exactly the same camera and he uses the same lens and he's never had problems like this. I don't know if I'm being completely dumb (it is possible:lmao: ), but I just can't figure it out.

I could really use being able to take pictures of a concert on Sunday, so if anyone has any suggestions it would be incredibly helpful. I'd really rather not resort to using a flash again. Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

Naomi :)

Sorry, but you are out of luck.

The maximum aperture on that lens is F3.5 at 18mm and F5.6 at 55mm.

You are right, this is just not a big enough aperture to shoot concerts with (without flash).

The solution is to get a 'faster' lens. I recommend the 50mm F1.8 It's cheap and it's optically much better than the lens you have now.

Or you could adjust the ISO setting to 800 or 1600...which would allow you to get faster shutter speeds...but at the cost of added noise.

I don't use that camera, but in low light situations, you will want to bump up the iso while also using the smallest aperture setting (like 4.5). I would start with a iso of 200 and take a few practice shots with a shutter speed of about 1/60 and keeping raising the iso a stop at a time until you get an acceptable range (probably 800). In a concert setting, I doubt you are going to get decent shots at iso 200 and 1/60 but if you can't lower the aperture any lower than 4.5, I would start there and incrementally increase the iso.

Thanks a lot for the advice, and recommending the different lens - it is actually affordable so I might splurge and get it before the concert on Sunday. Cheers.:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back