Canon/Nikon: The next major step is..

Not so much an image thing, but are there any dslr's out there that can mail pictures immediately? I think that might be in the future for photojournalistst. Everybody can send pictures from their (cellphone)camera's now, but the pro's have to upload first. Or am I mistaken?
I believe the new Canon 40D and 1D grips have this ability.

Edit: From the DPReview.com review of the 40D

WFT-E3/E3A wireless transmitter / grip
The most interesting new addition from an accessory point of view is the WFT-E3/E3A wireless transmitter which now also doubles up as a vertical grip. Attached to the EOS 40D it provides all the normal vertical grip controls as well as WiFi, Wired Ethernet and USB storage connectivity. It has its own BP-511 battery which it is said will last as long (in constant use) as that in the camera. The WFT-E3 supports various protocols including FTP, PTP (remote control) and even has a built-in web server for HTTP browsing of images and remote shutter release.

I think they will just work on optimzing the sensors overall and, getting the firmware to work alot better. I know Id like to see a 24MP sensor with the D3/700s high ISOs and, even less noise. If they figured out how to eliminate noise would be nice too.

what's the next big innovation for these two going to be? [...] I'm thinking it's got to be in-body image stabilization.

Since Olympus and Pentax already have it, inbody IS would hardly be an innovation. Just further proof that Canikon continue to get richer off the features that the tiny, likely failing brands actually "innovate".

Such can be said for all capitalism without invention, but I digress.

Since Olympus and Pentax already have it, inbody IS would hardly be an innovation.

Maybe I've talked to the wrong people, but I've heard several people say that the in-lens stabilization is superior to in-body stabilization.

I personally would like to see the megapixel count continue to increase. Affordable MF-range dSLRs? I'm there.

Since Olympus and Pentax already have it, inbody IS would hardly be an innovation. Just further proof that Canikon continue to get richer off the features that the tiny, likely failing brands actually "innovate".

Such can be said for all capitalism without invention, but I digress.

Good point reg; I guess what I should have said was, "What's going to be their next big feature that they shove down our throats, telling us we need and which makes all of our current kit obsolete?"

slightly off topic but going with the in body IS thing a bit.

It's like Nikon bringing out the bodies without a focusing motor (D40), it's the perfect move. People that are new to photography looking to get 'seriously' in to it will look for a DSLR but can't justify spending too much so buy the entry level models without the motor. Now they've got the camera they need to buy good lenses, AF-S lenses etc, and so when they upgrade they have to go with Nikon again, sensible option since they've spent all this cash on good glass. D40's etc get sold second hand, even cheaper for other people new to photography to pickup and then they're in the same boat.

I think my point here is, they have less in-body (cheaper cameras) and more in the lenses (you've got to then buy decent lenses).. therefore you have good, expensive glass and more likely to stay with that brand.

But their bodies are actually the most expensive. So really you end up getting less and paying more. No?

yeah well i just meant between the big names, etc.. but yeah you end up with less that costs more.. people sometimes oversee how expensive lenses can be. Was just a thought as i couldn't see any other reason for not including a motor in the body!.

Neglect? User Abuse? Elitism? :D

Next developments to look for will be:

Improved ISO

Image bit-depth (none of the dSLRs offer 16-bit color depth yet.)

Dynamic Range (partially achieved through greater bit depth as well as ISO.) Look to get to at least 12 stops of dynamic range. Digital MFs already claim to be able to do that. (This may result in in-camera HDR, a marketing solution.)

Resolution on lines-per-milimeter. Right now super-sharp lenses are still out-performing sensors. The good Leica lenses (for instance) can resolve down to 10 lines per milimeter, and digital sensors in entry-level dSLRs can only capture 4 lines at best. Film is still much higher resolution when comparing l/mm. The new sensors in flagships like the D3 or 1Ds are definitely being underserved by their manufacturer's lenses. Even Canon's L lenses aren't keeping up with the sensors.

Digital-optimized lenses (lines-per-milimeter). That's partially a good idea (see comment above) and partially marketing hype.

We may see more in-camera IS because the market demands it, but anyone with a rudimentary sense of physics knows that it's a crap solution. A 600mm lens requires a different solution than a 35mm lens. You would have to write a lot of code to make them marry successfully. It's possible, but it's a market-driven work-around, not a technological solution.

Coolest niche-function I've seen in a while is focus-bracketing. The new Leaf AFi has it. You can take up to seven exposures automatically at different focal points, and then composite the shots later on. This results in a massive DOF for landscape and architecture work if you can't or don't want to work with long exposure times and narrow apertures.

My 4 year old Minolta has it too. I haven't figured out what it's good for tho. You're saying it's maybe precise enough for focus stacking? I thought of that but just kinda passed it off as.. "Nah, couldn't be..." I'm going to try it now tho! Thanks!

Actually, if you read the mags, the technology has just come on line with the potential to design a gigapixel 3D camera chip, so the megapixels wars are going to the next level eventually. The only question is WHEN?

skieur

If HDR continues with its growing popularity, I would bet someone is going to build it into the camera. We are already 1/2 way there.... most cameras have auto exposure bracketing AND a fast enough frame per sec rate. All we need is built in HDR processing and a fancy interface to package it all up as a single in-camera function.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back