Canon V Nikon... looking for some advice

You have a 70-200mm, right? Sell that, get the 70-200mm f/2.8 (IS), get a 1D Mark IV, be happy with the two bodies and forget peace on earth with Nikon and Canon. ;)

Merry Christmas to all the cage-fighters on here. LOL

Shh, Montana; just 'cos you already have a 1D doesn't mean you have to do this. ;)

Look at any professional sporting event and see what the photographers in red vests are shooting with. That's right, Canon. Why? Because Canon has the best glass. Nikon is no slouch by any means. The 1D Mark IV by it specs alone will be far superior to the D300. Even the 5D Mark II is just as good up to 2500 iso. 3200+ I would give the edge to Nikon. You really can't go wrong either way though.

Look at any professional sporting event and see what the photographers in red vests are shooting with. That's right, Canon. Why? Because Canon has the best glass. Nikon is no slouch by any means. The 1D Mark IV by it specs alone will be far superior to the D300. Even the 5D Mark II is just as good up to 2500 iso. 3200+ I would give the edge to Nikon. You really can't go wrong either way though.

What an educated post. Ever think those photographers work for a company that has been using canon cameras and that is what they issue their photographers? If the company I worked for was handing me a 1ds mk3 i wouldn't complain either and i'd be in the red vest shooting it. If I had choice i'd been in a red vest with a D3S 300/400 2.8 shooting the action. Why you may ask. The ISO performance is superior and the AF is incredible. Either is great but just because "everyone" is shooting it doesn't make it better or even the top choice.
TJ

Appreciate all the feedback. Did not mean to start a Canon V Nikon war, but I guess anytime you bring this stuff up it is going to happen.

I am leaning towards the D3s, but have not ruled out the Canon, as it just seems to be more versatile. I like the full frame and the option to shoot in a cropped mode as well. I will use the camera for just about everything, as I am now, so the versatility seems to make more sense to me at this point.

One question, I am not stuck on the Video capability of the D3s, so if I could find a D3, seems to be a bunch of used out there, aren't they basically the same camera less the video?

Last edited:
Woah is the huge bold font necessary?

Fixed... sorry didn't mean to do that.

QUOTE=TJ K;1784049]Woah is the huge bold font necessary?[/QUOTE]

Alright np. And I mean they are a very similar camera but if you're going to be doing low light and fast action sports I really think the ISO on the s version would probably be worth it although if you can find a D3 at a good price i'm sure that will be excellent as well. GL
TJ

Don't forget the d700; you could get a lot more lens for the price difference between the 700 and the d3s.

Add a $75 grip to the d700 and it's "just about" as fast as a d3s.

Both are great systems, pick one and don't look back.

Shh, Montana; just 'cos you already have a 1D doesn't mean you have to do this. ;)

Still waiting for it to ship! Looks like a fantastic camera on paper! It'll be great owning full-frame, aps-h, and aps-c cameras. LOL, not really. The 40D will be backup to the 5DII and 1DIV. I was totally happy with the 40D until I got the horse racing gig last summer. Shooting race horse coming at you head on with the 600f/4 IS was really taxing the 40D. And since I was shooting with the 600, I would only get a handfull of shots before the horse and rider were close enough that I could not get them in the frame any more. Having a higher percentage of keepers in that handful will be a bonus for sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back