Canon vs Nikon - Stereotypes

mikoh4792

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These stereotypes of each brand are just those I gathered through internet research. I'm not saying I take these seriously, but I think it'd be interesting to see what your thoughts are regarding these points.

Canon
- Better lenses than Nikon
- Better customer service than Nikon
- More consistent than Nikon(in terms of quality control)

Nikon
- Better sensors than Canon
- More flexible shooting (accessories, flash systems..etc)

If Nikon has better sensors and worse lenses, and Canon has worse sensors and better lenses, would this mean that they produce the same quality of images? I've heard canon is really bad at dynamic range, shadows, and high iso(aps-c lineup).

In actuality, Nikon and Canon lenses are pretty close to each other. Enough so that it shouldn't be a deciding factor. Personally, I can't stand the ergos and menu system in a Nikon, but that Sony Exmor sensor is awesome. I would think that Canon would be "more flexible" what with the larger range of aftermarket support from accessories to software and firmware, including a native radio controlled flash system. The better DR and higher resolution of the Exmor sensor are nice, but it's something you may not ever notice or need depending on what and how you shoot. Take some time to handle cameras from each maker and see which feels better to you.

Don't believe everything you read there is nothing between them most of it is negated unkess you have years of experience

Scatterbrained said:
The better DR and higher resolution of the Exmor sensor are nice, but it's something you may not ever notice or need depending on what and how you shoot.

Could you elaborate on this?

Scatterbrained said:
The better DR and higher resolution of the Exmor sensor are nice, but it's something you may not ever notice or need depending on what and how you shoot.

Only time you will ever notice it is if you shoot at ridiculously high iso which for good photography is pointless, Nikon shooter need the high dinamic range because they don't know how to exoose properly

NIKON FTMFW!!!

keep-calm-and-shoot-canon-1.png

:band:

There's a Nikon shill here that will be along shortly to set us all straight. :eyebrows:

I chose Canon explicitly because of the option to shoot cannonballs. Nikon does not have this function.

Scatterbrained said:

At base ISO the Sony Exmor sensors have more DR than Canons sensors. This will allow you to recover more shadow detail. It's useful for landscapes or high contrast midday scenes where you need to retain highlight detail: think of shooting a sunset and being able to retain clean detail in the foreground, or shooting someone under the shade of an umbrella or tree and being able to expose for the sky, or shooting an interior space and being able to expose for the scene in the window. It's quite handy, but once the iso levels rise (low light/sports/birding/etc) the DR difference goes away.

Resolution will be a personal preference. Canon has been sticking right around the 20mp mark, while Nikon offers a range from 24-36mp.

I chose Canon explicitly because of the option to shoot cannonballs. Nikon does not have this function.

I'm going to sell all my Nikon gear starting today and move to canon then.

I'm going to sell all my Nikon gear starting today and move to canon then.
You should. It's hidden way in the menu. You have to enable it first. Otherwise, you can just make the sound effects yourself and pretend.

Most reactions

Back