Canon vs. Nikon

youll go with whatever you have lenses for, as starting over w/ a new brand lenses and all are a *****.

I love my xsi to pieces, but i do wish i could afford a 5d or at least a 50d, for a more rugged build. I take good care of it and baby it, so the likelihood of it breaking from misuse is rather slim, but still...a more rugged build would make me lose less sleep at night. Based on what I've seen and researched before i bought this camera, i like canon's iso performance (for equivalent cameras across all makers) more than the others.

I also like that from what i've seen at least, canon lenses seem to be slightly cheaper than nikon, for the same type lens. You're brand loyalty will also depend on which dslr you start on and learn on. I grew up w/ my dads film slr, BUT my canon xsi is my first dslr, and i've grown accustomed to the controls and love where they are, and the ease of use. I pick up a nikon at the store, and its not as instinctual to me. but like i said, my view is kind of biased since I "grew up" on canon.

My XSI has yet to fail me,and its a wonderful camera for what I can afford. Any ill taken shots were my fault and not the camera. On the upgrading front I'll probably be upgrading my lenses asap, then after I get the lenses i want, i'll consider which body, as there will probably have been a ton of new models before i reach that time where i'm ready for a new one.

but it will be a 99% chance that it will be a canon.

One more thing...I have a friend who could rant on for hours about why Canons are better, and a teacher that can rant why Nikons are better. I should get them to meet each other :p

See thats just it too! I've thought of this and I would have to do something with all the Canon lenses. Selling them would probably be hard, and traiding them at my local camera shop just won't give me what they are worth so yes. Right now I only have two lenses, but I do plan on getting another. I just bought my XSi so it's much to soon to jump into anything else and I plan on getting as much out of it as I can, so looks like I shall move up in the Canon world. Unless I some how somewhere start making some bucks I could always have a Nikon too if for some reason I like that better. This is if I were ever rich.

Ashton Kutcher commercials are persuasive I see lol

Last edited:
If you have a modern Canon lens and a Canon camera, autofocus is GO! But then there is that catch - "modern" lens. If I understand correctly, Canon users are borked on some old school lenses, as Canon changed the design or some sort, so not AI-S equivalent for Canon users; on Nikons side, you have to dig WAY back to find a lens not compatible Nikon's current lineup.

Bulls eye, Canon just discarded the FD mount completely in favor of in lens AF and to top it all off Canon only marketed the FD/EF adapter to seasoned vets with large arsonals of FD lenses. The adapter it self is lack luster making it a better decision to just replace as opposed to adapt to fit so it did not sell well to boot, So the best FD/EF adapter is increadibly hard to find and not worth the money when you do find it.

This makes for a pro in the film shooters department though, Glass is avilible at a fraction of the price of modern glass wile those older Nikkor lenses are still averaging into the hundreds of dollars.

hey, the only reason why im trying to push my photos for sale to people is so that i can fund future upgrades..i could give a crap about MAKING money from photography to put into my family's budget..I just want to make enough to upgrade what I want, and not have to take it out of my family's funds.

oh and if i were rich i wouldnt switch brands i'd buy a 1d and a 5d as my rough and tumble camera, and all the top of the line lenses.

This is all good stuff! Keep it coming!

Here's my Canon story! I won't say my very first camera, but my verst serious camera I've ever got was a Canon G5. I just loved that P&S camera and that is when I first saw that I had a eye for photography. I took many pictures around town and even got some kids-in-action pictures that turned out just awesome! After about 5 years (just guessing) the camera card insertion door broke and I wanted a new camera. I then bought another P&S moving up to a G9 which I still have. This thing was even better!!! My boss bought a XTi at work so I could take company pictures of our product for our website and catalogs. I liked that XTi so much that after he gave me such a huge bonus that after thanks giving I bought my XSi. Just like many of you Canon users have mentioned. I knew where everything was at. It took me know time to just pic it up and use it because it is roughly the same camera I use at work! Don't get me wrong, I love my XSi!

That sounds like a good idea! Thats what I may do if I get rich. If I do get rich it won't be from photography. Hopefully it will be from writing and illustration my story books. But I love photography. I wouldn't mind making money from it.

SOrry to steal your topic but what do you people's use to sell your photos?

im more than happy making play money from it...as i have no interest in making a living from it.

i WAS using deviantart , but now i have a smugmug pro account, and it looks a lot more professional, instead of all the naked amateur photographers on DA lol.

also theres a coupon code you can use on smugmug that knocks the membership cost down from 150 to 75.00/yr.

When I decide to get a smugmug account I'll PM you for the code (if you have it that is)

of course, feel free too...but just keep in mind that its just for the first year..after that its full price.

Most reactions

Back