Cheap begginners flash?

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I am a very beginner photographer and looking to get my first ever external flash. Only problem is I'm completely broke! :(

So am wondering if anyone can suggest how to choose a flash on an EXTREMELY tight budget? As in around $30 if possible, or as close to that as possible.

I have a canon t3 and I plan to use it mostly for artistic portraits and occasionally taking photos in nightclubs/bars. The most important thing for me is that I can use it well off-camera.

So does anyone have any advice for me?

save up more money ?

some of the cheapest manual flashes are around $65. But as soon as you go into nightclubs /bars and do Events you might want to have a flash that does TTL, which will cost about double that amount on the cheap end.

Agree re: saving money. While you're saving that money, though, it might be a good time to learn about natural light, and shaping it. Grab yourself a couple of pieces of white and black poster board at Wal-mart and use those for reflectors & flags with sunlight & overcast.

BTW, I'm a beginner as well, and I can tell you, I feel like what little bit I've learned about natural light really helped me as an artist, *and* helped me when using artificial light as well

How about this one? It is around $30 and has high ratings on amazon.
Amazon.com : Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite for Canon Nikon Sony Panasonic Olympus Fujifilm Pentax Sigma Minolta Leica and Other SLR Digital SLR Film SLR Cameras and Digital Cameras with single-contact Hot Shoe : On Camera Shoe Mount Flashes : Camera & Photo

I just can't seem to work out if or how well they work off-camera without the popup flash as a trigger as that is the most important thing for me. I'm not expecting super high quality, and ttl is not important either, just a basic toy to learn with, and when I have more money I will get something better.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
save like one more week and double your budget at least...

When people ask me for financial help, they're always never able to save money and don't know where the money goes.
Then when you get them to actually track *all* their expenses, like ... *all* of them,
They find out how much they spend at bars & nightclubs. usually enough to not just buy a flash, but a couple lenses and bodies to go with it.

You may be broke, but if you go to bars & nightclubs I'm going to guess you have some expendible money that you could save up.

On a budget I sincerely doubt that you're going to find anything with a better value than this:
Amazon.com : Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon. GN58. : On Camera Shoe Mount Flashes : Camera & Photo

It's a manual flash (meaning non-TTL) so you have to work out the power output, etc. yourself but the reviews (and my experience with it) have been great. Also, when you're ready to move the flash off-camera, you can pick up a set of these:
Amazon.com : Yongnuo RF-603 N3 2.4GHz Wireless Flash Trigger/Wireless Shutter Release Transceiver Kit for Nikon D90/D3100/D5000/D7000 : Camera Shutter Release Cords : Camera & Photo

They're wireless receiver/transmitters that work pretty well for your basic OCF setup. Once you start getting more complex with your flash setup a significant investment into higher quality flashes/transmitters may be in order but for your described goal "just playing around" these are a pretty good start, IMO of course.

When people ask me for financial help, they're always never able to save money and don't know where the money goes.
Then when you get them to actually track *all* their expenses, like ... *all* of them,
They find out how much they spend at bars & nightclubs. usually enough to not just buy a flash, but a couple lenses and bodies to go with it.

You may be broke, but if you go to bars & nightclubs I'm going to guess you have some expendible money that you could save up.
This is a good point.. Even if they're not spending loads of money in bars/nightclubs, there's usually somewhere else that the money is going (e.g., cheaper cell phone plans, getting rid of paid music/tv/movie subscriptions, not eating out as much, cheaper rent).

I've had a lot of friends complain about not making enough money and not being able to afford to live. When questioned why they're living in a loft in Brooklyn, or an apartment in Manhattan, they usually stop talking about money.

On a budget I sincerely doubt that you're going to find anything with a better value than this:
Amazon.com : Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon. GN58. : On Camera Shoe Mount Flashes : Camera & Photo

It's a manual flash (meaning non-TTL) so you have to work out the power output, etc. yourself but the reviews (and my experience with it) have been great. Also, when you're ready to move the flash off-camera, you can pick up a set of these:
Amazon.com : Yongnuo RF-603 N3 2.4GHz Wireless Flash Trigger/Wireless Shutter Release Transceiver Kit for Nikon D90/D3100/D5000/D7000 : Camera Shutter Release Cords : Camera & Photo

They're wireless receiver/transmitters that work pretty well for your basic OCF setup. Once you start getting more complex with your flash setup a significant investment into higher quality flashes/transmitters may be in order but for your described goal "just playing around" these are a pretty good start, IMO of course.
+1

People... This is not a financial advice forum and I did not ask for financial advice. I'm actually one of the most efficient spenders on the planet, in fact I just got back from a year travelling (successfully) on 200 euros a month. Now I am moving to a new city, paying rental deposits and other stuff and have a very limited bank balance which I want to stretch as far as possible until I can get back to working. Oh and I don't spend all my money in night clubs, my profession is night club promotion which is why I will likely be taking a lot of photos in clubs and bars. Sorry for the little rant but I don't like when people assume to know so much about the life of a person who posted a question on a forum.

Anyway, I've spent the last hour researching and I can't seem to find any reason not to get the $30 Neewer TT560 and a $10 neewer trigger. I know they are not the highest quality flash but like I said I am just learning my hobby and if I continue to progress I am sure I will have much more money to spend 6 months or a year later.

Does anyone have any opinions about this flash? According to youtube and amazon reviews it works very well for the basics.

Anyway, I've spent the last hour researching and I can't seem to find any reason not to get the $30 Neewer TT560 and a $10 neewer trigger. I know they are not the highest quality flash but like I said I am just learning my hobby and if I continue to progress I am sure I will have much more money to spend 6 months or a year later.

Does anyone have any opinions about this flash? According to youtube and amazon reviews it works very well for the basics.

I've not heard anything about Neewer flashes but I've heard GREAT reviews and unpaid endorsements on blogs, etc. for the Yongnuo stuff. The only reason I can think of that would cause the Yongnuo to make more sense are the specs and I've not researched it. If the Yongnuo is a more versatile product, financially, it would make sense to save for just a tiny bit longer to purchase the product that will last you longer (in terms of growing with your capabilities) and is more versatile...rather than spending almost the same amount for a product that you might be sick of/tired of, etc. in six months. Basically, why buy twice when you could wait a bit and buy once?

I have the YN560ii and recommend that. Can't speak of the Neewer.

I have experience using a cheap flash (Bower, $30), back in 2011, and it was a waste of time/money--it broke within a day. When it was working it wouldn't sit in the hotshoe correctly, would trigger on its own, and overheat after a few flashes and shut-off for 30mins before another use.

I had the same idea, buy a cheap one to get my foot in the door. I ended up returning it and going with a refurbished SB700--I still have that today and use it a LOT.

You're probably going to want TTL for the type of shooting you'll be doing.

Last edited:
People... This is not a financial advice forum and I did not ask for financial advice. I'm actually one of the most efficient spenders on the planet, in fact I just got back from a year travelling (successfully) on 200 euros a month. Now I am moving to a new city, paying rental deposits and other stuff and have a very limited bank balance which I want to stretch as far as possible until I can get back to working. Oh and I don't spend all my money in night clubs, my profession is night club promotion which is why I will likely be taking a lot of photos in clubs and bars. Sorry for the little rant but I don't like when people assume to know so much about the life of a person who posted a question on a forum.

I own a Neewer shutter release. While it gets the job done, I wished I had saved up a bit more and bought a better one. I'm currently looking to replace it.

I cannot speak to their flashes. I can speak to the Yongnuo flashes. I bought one a few months ago as a backup, and it works really well for the price. I do not regret the purchase.

It sounds like you're set on the Neewer based on price. I'm sure the Neewer will work well enough for your needs. Let us know when you get it if you like it!

My opinion: You will very quickly become disapointed with it. As a professional promoter, I'm sure that you realize the value of good photography with respect to advertising and promotion. While I agree that off-camera lighting often gives better results, I don't think shooting manual flash in a nightclub is ideal. My suggestion would be that you save up for a better, TTL compatible flash and TTL extension cord, which will allow you to shoot 'auto' flash exposure with the flash off the camera.

Several likely problems I see with this unit are: Poor build quality, long recycle times, no indication that it uses a thyristor charging circuit (it may, but it doesn't say), and no way to add an external power pack.

It sounds like you're set on the Neewer based on price. I'm sure the Neewer will work well enough for your needs. Let us know when you get it if you like it!

If you get it and it works out well for you, at that price, I might have to pick one up! :)

EDIT: Also, as TiredIron pointed out, if you're spending your evenings shooting you will probably burn through batteries like crazy...Just something to think about. A battery pack or a bunch of rechargeable batteries would be in order...

The 'most poor people are spendthrifts' meme is false. Nuff said.

Have you considered buying a used flash?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back