Cheap begginners flash?

Braineack said:
I have the YN560ii and recommend that. Can't speak of the Neewer.

I have experience using a cheap flash (Bower, $30), back in 2011, and it was a waste of time/money--it broke within a day. When it was working it wouldn't sit in the hotshoe correctly, would trigger on its own, and overheat after a few flashes and shut-off for 30mins before another use.

I had the same idea, buy a cheap one to get my foot in the door. I ended up returning it and going with a refurbished SB700--I still have that today and use it a LOT.

You're probably going to want TTL for the type of shooting you'll be doing.

Seriously...try not to buy the absolute CHEAPEST, junkiest, made in China equipment that it is humanly possible to make. Buying crap gear leads almost invariably to gear that craps out, but not before it has performed like crap, and made your work look like crap.

"Buy once. Buy right." That's an old saying. There's wisdom underlying it. If you have a manual-ONLY flash, you will blow many exposures that a TTL or auto-thyristor (ie "AUTO-flash") flash unit could nail the exposure on, at literally, the speed of light.

Beginning shooters benefit more, proportionately, from more-advanced gear than do experienced shooters. New shooters gain huge benefits from having access to good equipment. The longer you've been in the game, the better equipped you are to know the limitations and the work-arounds of low-level or junky equipment.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nissin has some nice flashes for a good price

I bought one of the Neewer flashes that go for around $25 to $30 on Amazon. Awesome! I bought a second one I liked it so much. I don't use them on camera. I use them manually adjusted off camera. I also use the cheap 4 channel radio triggers that go for around $20 (I think Cowboy Studio or Neewer make them, or rebrand them. Black with 4 small white dip switches on them). They work very well. The transmitter attaches to the hotshoe of the camera, and the receiver slides onto the bottom of the speedlight flash. I've been using mine for two years with no issues. If you are looking for something TTL or on camera, I can't really comment on that. Good luck!

Consider this: You can get a Canon 430EZ on eBay for under $30 bucks. It is a good versatile flash with respectable power and can be used in slave mode with other flashes. Also when you are ready to step up you can get the Cnon 550EX's that operate master or slve for under $100 bucks. Yes, the Yongnuo is slightly cheaper, but if you are looking for rugged then I would look at these older Canon Speedlites. I have 5 of them and never paid over $100 for any of them. They only lack the 'from the camera menu' controls on the newer hugely expensive 580EX II & 600's. Just a thought from someone actually using the stuff and liking it! ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back