Choosing the right camera

dethspike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everybody. I am a new member to the forum. I am making my first steps in photography mostly as a hobby, but i wanted to buy something more "proffesional" to start learning more things. I am still divided between dslr and mirrorless but mostly my concern is that i want to use the camera for video too, so as i understand most of the cameras i am looking to buy give the image quality i want but the video quality varies mostly due to focus differencies.

First, lets say that my budget is aroung 400 euro.
From the search i made and the ton of reviews i read i am between these 2 options.
1)NIKON D3300 with AF-P 18-55 VR kit
2)Sony a5000 with 16-50mm kit or Lumix GF7 with 12-32mm kit

(also i am open to suggestions at this price range)
Let's say that portability is not a main concern for me and i am not thinkin for mirrorless for that feature but the other perks they provide.

I know that all say that d3300 is the best solution to learn photography and dslr's but i see that the video focus is not the best. Also i see that there is not a big difference in video quality between these two, so why not going with the sony that seems to have better focus, zebra etc...

Thank you all for your time.

I think the Nikon D3300 gives a lot of camera for the price. Sure it may not have some of the other extra features of the Sony, but that is typical of Nikon where their cameras in general have always been focused on taking the picture.

I would choose the Sony from your list. The major reason is the modern mirrorless technology. DSLR's are getting a bit long in the tooth in my view. The Panasonic is a compact camera - smaller sensor, no interchangeable lenses. So the Nikon would go in second place.

I own the Nikon D3300
I used to own the Panasonic G7 with the 14-42mm kit lens
I also own the Sony a6300

I would recommend the Nikon first because the sensor will be superior to the other 2 cameras, much better battery which you can shoot around 800+ pictures, better low light performance, better dynamic range, better auto focus system and access to more lenses and the Nikon has more resolution.

Drawback of the Panasonic, the sensor on the Panasonic is meh, its ok but not as good as the one on the D3300, it struggles even in mid lighting condition and the D3300 is better about 1/3 to 1/2 of a stop.
The mirrorless AF is struggling in less then ideal lighting conditions, not a huge deal as it will eventually lock focus in most cases but the one on the D3300 is just faster and snappier especially the centre point.

Sony a5000 has no viewfinder, less lens selection and the one that you have is far more expensive then the Nikon.

Personally from my own experience there is no contest here the D3300 is the right choice with better sensor, more lens selection and for reasonable prices.
You are welcome to PM me if you need more info or advice.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back