critique another one for me?

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
here is another from that brother/sister shoot. tear it apart for me, will ya? i need to know what to do to perfect these shots as much as possible before i give them to the client...
any and all input greatly appreciated.
lexi_head_looking_into_camera_500_x_625_copy.jpg

ok so heres my 3 and a half cents..

1) love the subject, she seems comfortable, and at ease...

2) dont like the lighting so much, it seems hard and directed at the front of her face.

3) Im not too sure about the pose either, im fond of portrait work with shadows and angles to the body and what not.

but you know what they say about opinions....

great shot by the way!! very crisp and bright!

md

I think your lighting is all right; you have lovely catchlights in the eyes. She does indeed have a very comfortable smile.....a pretty portrait.

I think I'd crop it, though. Just a bit. Lose the top of her head, to just below her hairline. Bring us closer to those lovely eyes; we don't need to see the part in her hair. Or maybe crop just to where that subtle hot spot is on the forehead.... just a thought. The eyes make this portrait.

Nice work!

I think the lighting on the face is fine. Here's my ruthless list of what I'd change to make it my flavor (from most important to least).

The background is gray. She's so pretty and it's blah. White or almost white would really make the colors a lot more exciting.

The smile looks a little forced. Her eyes are smiling, and I'd rather see a relaxed, non-smiling face than a tense smile.

I don't like how far the catchlights are spread. Maybe if the main one was bigger, or they were closer together. I know that this can be difficult to control. This is the kind of thing I'll miss when I take a pic, but leaps out at me in the darkroom.

Nitpicking: switch from a shirt with stripes pattern to darker solid shirt.

My first thought before anything else was "wheres the teeth?" I think this picture would be much better if she showed those pearly whites. Also, a darker back ground would compliment the tones on her face.

i really like this photo ... i think i have to agree with the grey background .. i would prefer it to be white ... but that's just personal taste, otherwise .. i think its nice

i dont see a problem with her teeth not showing in her smile ... i dont like to see teeth in mine .. and almost 100% of my portraits, teeth are not showing and i discourage it from my clients (they dont do it anyway) :lol:

Most reactions

Back