Custon WB or WB preset?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let's say I want to photograph on an object outdoor such as statue or flower. I want the object to look very good with rich colors. Should I use Custom WB or the Daylight Preset WB?

Last edited:
If you do panoramic shots, I'd advise not to use AWB. This would also apply to any shots that you want to stich later. Shooting in RAW lets you adjust WB to anything you want in PP, so it's not that much of a deal even if you miss WB using one of the built-in presets.

When I'm shooting for myself in RAW, auto is usually fine. When I'm shooting for a client, I almost always use a gray card. You can find them at any camera store or on Amazon, B&H, etc. I got mine as a freebie in the back of a Scott Kelby book.

Gray cards rock.

Most entry-level camera's, and some prosumer cameras, do a pretty poor job when set to Auto White Balance.

Through the day the color temperture of sunlight changes, at least somewhat. Add clouds and overcast of varying thinkness, and outdoor light color temperature will vary even more.

Light color temperature is what White Balance is all about. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm

The best practice is to use a gray card. Here is one of the best, in a shirt pocket size GENUINE WhiBal G7 Certified Neutral White Balance Card - Pocket Kit (2.1"x3.3")

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Because the Raw file has as much image data as you can possibly have. It's all about 'bit-depth'. Photo Editing Tutorials

Memory cards are cheap.

JPEG, on it's maximum file size setting of Large, Fine immediately throws away about 80% of the color data the camera image sensor captured.

That's the main reason JPEG files are smaller than Raw files. The white balance of JPEG files can't be adjusted like Raw files can, and JPEG files have little if any editing headroom.

Many here have commented that they shoot in raw and then adjust it in post processing. For most situations that works ok. But there really is no such thing as a "standard day", when it comes to color temperature. Many variables can come into play. I always carry a small, plastic 18% gray card with me in my gear bag. It only takes a second to calibrate your the camera's WB off it, at least it does with my D700, your mileage may vary.

Shoot in raw with Custom WB. Adjust in post if needed.

Looks like editing RAW is very good than editing JPEG. My concern is the files size. I have no problem buying a memory card, but hard drive on my computer can fills up quickly.

Looks like editing RAW is very good than editing JPEG.

That's the beauty of raw.

My concern is the files size. I have no problem buying a memory card, but hard drive on my computer can fills up quickly.

Memory is cheap, and getting cheaper every day.

Most reactions

Back