D SLR

MikeNeufeld

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been considering purchasing a new dslr, and have a hard time decided. My father in law is a huge Nikon Fan and thats all he shoots. I have mainly only used his gear but recently got to shoot with a canon 40d and was quite impressed by this camera. My question is do I dish out for the body and slowly upgrade the glass, or do i go more nikon d80 and get good lenses upfront and be ready to roll. Its more a hobby for me and I love to shoot wild life and personal portraits for familiy and friends. The camera's I have been looking at are :

Canon 40d, Nikon d80,Nikon d200 ...

also, I shoot very little sports, but I need something with great low-light performance...

Then you're in kind of a limbo. A Canon 40D willwork at higher ISO with less noise than the D200 and D80, but on the same token if you buy the D80 you could dish out on some faster f/2.8 lenses.

Canon or Nikon, you cannot go wrong with either. Where you will really make the difference is in the speed and quality of the lens.

I obviously prefer Nikon (my father shot Nikon since I was a small kid in the 60's, I bought 2 Kodak P&S and after bought a Nikon E8800 and been Nikon ever since and will likley be Nikon for life), but I shot a friend's Rebel XTi and though it felt like a toy compared to my D200 with the MB-D200, it popped out some very nice pics.

Canon or Nikon... same kinda question like Ford of Chevy. Both will serve you well if you get the right accessories *AND* learn how to properly use your setup.

Canon or Nikon, you cannot go wrong with either. Where you will really make the difference is in the speed and quality of the lens.

I obviously prefer Nikon (my father shot Nikon since I was a small kid in the 60's, I bought 2 Kodak P&S and after bought a Nikon E8800 and been Nikon ever since and will likley be Nikon for life), but I shot a friend's Rebel XTi and though it felt like a toy compared to my D200 with the MB-D200, it popped out some very nice pics.

Canon or Nikon... same kinda question like Ford of Chevy. Both will serve you well if you get the right accessories *AND* learn how to properly use your setup.

cause its plastic. my 20D does not feel like a toy.

i would go with the 40D.

thanks guys for all the help... much appreciated...

Go with the system that works best for you. All specs are practically the same, lens selections, accessories, etc. Go with the one that is more intuitive for you to use. Granted, you can borrow some of the in-law's lenses though. Maybe.

Most reactions

Back