D5000 vs new D3100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm a little torn right now because I don't know about others but when I used something I get attached to it, it's part of my life now. I barely have the D5000 but I've used it and fell in love with all the option. It takes great photos for an entry guy myself. I have seen people posted on youtube with the D5000 shooting in HD and it look pretty amazing. I can't seem to get it to look like that yet, still gotta learn how.

I wonder why the D3100 would be priced at $699, the same price as the D5000 currently. The only thing drawing me to the D3100 is the full HD and auto focus video option. Still debating although I know I'll get an HD camcorder when I can. I just want to start using the HD video on the DSLR right now as practice and fun until I can the camcorder. Damn, wish I never read upon the D3100.

Honestly, if you already like the D5000 that much, I'd just keep it. The real selling point with D3100 is the 1080 video. The extra 2MP aren't really anything to write home about... it's only two more megapixels. The question you need to ask yourself is whether or not it's absolutely crucial that you be able to make ultra-high-quality 1080p videos immediately. If 720p will work for the time-being, then just keep the D5000 and make high-res videos when you finally get an HD camcorder that's actually dedicated to the job.

One, the price is similar to D5000 because the D5000 will probably drop in the near future...just hasn't yet. Two, all you who keep talking about the 2mp increase....this is what worries me the most about buying a D3100 before tests are done. The megapixel increase in the 50d is what hurt it...more megapixels but lower image quality than the 40d and worse iso performance if I remember correctly.

If it's as good in real world as on paper, then we have a winner. I'd be shocked if it's more than a week or two before we see some serious tests out on the web comparing the D3100 to everything from a D50 to a D3x.

Yeah I'm a little torn right now because I don't know about others but when I used something I get attached to it, it's part of my life now. I barely have the D5000 but I've used it and fell in love with all the option. It takes great photos for an entry guy myself. I have seen people posted on youtube with the D5000 shooting in HD and it look pretty amazing. I can't seem to get it to look like that yet, still gotta learn how.

I wonder why the D3100 would be priced at $699, the same price as the D5000 currently. The only thing drawing me to the D3100 is the full HD and auto focus video option. Still debating although I know I'll get an HD camcorder when I can. I just want to start using the HD video on the DSLR right now as practice and fun until I can the camcorder. Damn, wish I never read upon the D3100.

Honestly, if you already like the D5000 that much, I'd just keep it. The real selling point with D3100 is the 1080 video. The extra 2MP aren't really anything to write home about... it's only two more megapixels. The question you need to ask yourself is whether or not it's absolutely crucial that you be able to make ultra-high-quality 1080p videos immediately. If 720p will work for the time-being, then just keep the D5000 and make high-res videos when you finally get an HD camcorder that's actually dedicated to the job.

I couldn't agree more with this post. I wouldn't see any need to upgrade a D5000 to a D3100 (spend that money on a dedicated HD camcorder if that's what's important). I can easily see justification in wanting to upgrade a D3000 to the D3100 though.

I may be a little old fashioned in this regard, but I feel like a still camera is a still camera and a video camera is a video camera.

Specs don't make a camera.

I have a nice video camera that also takes still pictures. Nice ones too (better than my first digital point & shoot camera). But I never for a second thought it was a replacement for my Nikon.

You guys are right. I think I'm keeping the camera. Before I decided to get the D5000, I was planning to get the HD camcorder first because my main goal is wanting to make film. I also love photography and always wanted a DSLR but never put enough dedication to it until now. That's why I decided to go with a DSLR first because of the option to record HD video. My dad and I have a side job to record events and take photos. Although right now it's mostly his friends and people he know *My dad is old and his friends is as well who's not very knowledgeable with high-tech stuff* but still I want to make it more professional. That's the reason I want to upgrade all the equipment so I could edit photos and videos.

I'm happy with the D5000 and will be getting an HD camcorder soon. Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:
You guys are right. I think I'm keeping the camera. Before I decided to get the D5000, I was planning to get the HD camcorder first because my main goal is wanting to make film. I also love photography and always wanted a DSLR but never put enough dedication to it until now. That's why I decided to go with a DSLR first because of the option to record HD video. My dad and I have a side job to record events and take photos. Although right now it's mostly his friends and people he know *My dad is old and his friends is as well who's not very knowledgeable with high-tech stuff* but still I want to make it more professional. That's the reason I want to upgrade all the equipment so I could edit photos and videos.

I'm happy with the D5000 and will be getting an HD camcorder soon. Thanks for the input guys.

But the D3100 is a HD camcorder now with the improvement. Honestly, a regular HD camcorder is not going to give you the IQ like an DSLR will. Plus you also have the benefit of all the lenses and great low light shooting. The only thing that sucks is that the D3100 does not have a external mic input, which is huge if your serious about video. I'm sure they're holding out on that feature for the D90 replacement.

D5000 has 12.3mp not 10.2. Not so big a jump from 12.3 to 14.2. D5000 could be purchased in the package with those two lenses as well.

I'm not arguing that the D3100 looks like a great improvement over the D3000 (not as much on the D5000 though still an improvement on paper).....I'm just saying it will be nice to see how it works in the real world.

On paper, the Canon 50d blew away the 40d.....in the real world, most users wish they had stuck wtih the 40d though as the increases on paper resulted in poorer performance in reality.

Mea Culpa! You're right - I was thinking about the older D3000 - it had 10.2 mp but, yes, the D5000 does have 12.3. Still about 2 mp greater resolution on a dx chip. Thanks for the clarification Nate.

You're also right on the money about waiting to see what it's like. As a photo educator, I've been burned before by making a purchase based on new cam specs and having to spend $ by a certain date, just to be horribly disappointed by the performance of the so-called "improved" camera. I've learned to wait a bit.

The D3100 has only an 8% increase in resolution over the d5000.

3072 vertical lines, vs 2848 vertical lines.

No matter if it is CPU enhanced or actual ISO sensitivity of a sensor ISO12800 is still greater than ISO6400 in my book.

The hi-iso settings are useless, you get the SAME results by just increasing the exposure in post.

I am not debating about this. Take it up with Nikon it is THEIR specifications.

More important to me, though, is the increased resolution. D5000 has 10.2 megapixels, while the new D3100 has 14.2 MP. That's a huge increase in photo clarity and this is crucial if you plan to use Photoshop to crop images at all.

That's not true- the D5000 is 12.3 megapixels.

IMO, the increase in resolution is not that great from 12 to 14 for the average shooter. If you're trying to be a pro, maybe. But then you should be looking at the pro bodies that are doing 18+ MP.

It comes down to what you need your camera for... the OP suggested video is important, so that may be his deciding factor. But then again- what kind of video?

I just got my D5000 and the video is great for me? Why? My other hobby is golf- camera is great at taking swing videos, from a tripod with a fixed manual focus for a video that lasts 3 seconds- perfect! The average video shooter will want more than the D5000's video features offer, though.

As far as a still camera, let's not forget that this is not the D5100 it is the D3100- there is a reason they decided to put the new camera into that line of models- because it is more like the D3000 than the D5000.

You still have to look at the cameras other features, menus, and capabilities. I get the impression (obviously without actually having seen or used a D3100) that it is more entry level than the D5000 is (which is also entry level)- if that makes any sense.

As these cameras cross more into the realm of "imaging computer" than camera, photographers have to deal with what us computer guys have dealt with for 20+ years now... do I buy/keep/use what I have or upgrade to the next version? If you do, you will constantly be chasing "the next version."

I've discovered it is better to be on the leading edge than on the bleeding edge.

Look, the D5000 is a great camera. So is the D3000, D3100 (hopefully), the D90, etc. There will always be another camera model coming out.

But I guarantee I can take a great picture with my old Minolta Maxxum 7000 and a roll of Kodachrome 25! How do you take a great picture? F8 and be there.

And what you'll find is that F8 at 1/125 is F8 at 1/125 no matter what camera you're using.

Who knows, after you trade in the D5000 for a D3100, what happens in 3 months if they come out with the D5100? Then you'll be kicking yourself!

I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

To the OP, I would return it and get the D3100.

More important to me, though, is the increased resolution. D5000 has 10.2 megapixels, while the new D3100 has 14.2 MP. That's a huge increase in photo clarity and this is crucial if you plan to use Photoshop to crop images at all.

That's not true- the D5000 is 12.3 megapixels.

IMO, the increase in resolution is not that great from 12 to 14 for the average shooter. If you're trying to be a pro, maybe. But then you should be looking at the pro bodies that are doing 18+ MP.

It comes down to what you need your camera for... the OP suggested video is important, so that may be his deciding factor. But then again- what kind of video?

I just got my D5000 and the video is great for me? Why? My other hobby is golf- camera is great at taking swing videos, from a tripod with a fixed manual focus for a video that lasts 3 seconds- perfect! The average video shooter will want more than the D5000's video features offer, though.

As far as a still camera, let's not forget that this is not the D5100 it is the D3100- there is a reason they decided to put the new camera into that line of models- because it is more like the D3000 than the D5000.

You still have to look at the cameras other features, menus, and capabilities. I get the impression (obviously without actually having seen or used a D3100) that it is more entry level than the D5000 is (which is also entry level)- if that makes any sense.

As these cameras cross more into the realm of "imaging computer" than camera, photographers have to deal with what us computer guys have dealt with for 20+ years now... do I buy/keep/use what I have or upgrade to the next version? If you do, you will constantly be chasing "the next version."

I've discovered it is better to be on the leading edge than on the bleeding edge.

Look, the D5000 is a great camera. So is the D3000, D3100 (hopefully), the D90, etc. There will always be another camera model coming out.

But I guarantee I can take a great picture with my old Minolta Maxxum 7000 and a roll of Kodachrome 25! How do you take a great picture? F8 and be there.

And what you'll find is that F8 at 1/125 is F8 at 1/125 no matter what camera you're using.

Who knows, after you trade in the D5000 for a D3100, what happens in 3 months if they come out with the D5100? Then you'll be kicking yourself!

I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

To the OP, I would return it and get the D3100.

Nope- not being sarcastic at all, sorry if it came across that way.

That was an expression I and a few other photography friends had years ago because the type of shots we were taking seemed to always be shot at F8- so to take a great picture, "F8 and be there" became the norm. Doesn't sound very creative, but it resulted in just the right amount of depth of field and fast enough shutter speed to hand hold the camera. Or at least it was a good starting point and you could vary one or two stops either way quickly with manual cameras/lenses. So you just left your camera set that way.

I am on the same boat as you. Bought D5000 recently and have an option to return it in the next few weeks. After seeing this D3100, I started debating between these. Why would Nikon put 2 more or less similar products in the same price range and in the same time period??

Well, I am hope to see expert reviews on D3100 in a week or two (by the websites who normally can get the product bit earlier for reviewing??). Once the reviews are out, I can then make a decision (based on better sensor an video modes).

On the HD video front, being a first time HD video user, I was bit shocked to see the amount of space it takes. A 3 minutes video took 350MB space. considering that it was 720 using the D5000, I am certain that D3100's capability of 1080 would eat more space than this. So I would seriously doubt if I would ever take video in 1080 (otherwise I would end up spending more on the memory cards). The point is D5000's 720 HD capability is more than enough for me.

But D3100's capability if continous video is an undeniable advantage.

(my first post.... just joined this forum few hours back:sexywink:)

I am on the same boat as you. Bought D5000 recently and have an option to return it in the next few weeks. After seeing this D3100, I started debating between these. Why would Nikon put 2 more or less similar products in the same price range and in the same time period??

Well, I am hope to see expert reviews on D3100 in a week or two (by the websites who normally can get the product bit earlier for reviewing??). Once the reviews are out, I can then make a decision (based on better sensor an video modes).

On the HD video front, being a first time HD video user, I was bit shocked to see the amount of space it takes. A 3 minutes video took 350MB space. considering that it was 720 using the D5000, I am certain that D3100's capability of 1080 would eat more space than this. So I would seriously doubt if I would ever take video in 1080 (otherwise I would end up spending more on the memory cards). The point is D5000's 720 HD capability is more than enough for me.

But D3100's capability if continous video is an undeniable advantage.

(my first post.... just joined this forum few hours back:sexywink:)

It's a tough one at least you get a few weeks. I had to make a decision. I swear right now is not the right time to buy a camera. With the D90 replacement surfacing and the D3100. All I can do is I'm happy with my D5000 and there are many people satisfied with them too. I decided to keep mine. I've been very indecisive with this the past week with other camera choices. But I know once I upgrade, I'll have a lot more knowledge than now and I would pick the perfect camera for me. Good luck with your decision, you still have a few more weeks.

Yeah i;m sticking with my D5000, besides who needs auto focus if you want that film look, get a camcorder. I think the whole video thing has gotten really out of whack with dslrs now.If you want pictures, theres no need to upgrade. The D5000 has image quality and noise handling to match prosumer bodies toe to toe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back