Digital Rebel Xt or D70?

LOL Please don't base what you buy on what Ken Rockwell has to say. He's an extremely opinionated man...a rather Nikon biased person as well. I mean anyone who says that the only real difference between a Nikon D70 and a Canon 20D is that:

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]"If you need a high frame rate, ISO 3,200 or prefer a heavier, more metallic camera the Canon is the clear winner.[/font]
[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]If you need immediate control of all critical adjustments without menus, light weight or fast daylight flash sync the D70 wins."
[/font]
[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]is just a tad opinionated. The Nikon D70 is a fine, fine camera, but, with that being said, it's no 20D.
[/font]

Smith2688 said:
LOL Please don't base what you buy on what Ken Rockwell has to say. He's an extremely opinionated man...a rather Nikon biased person as well. I mean anyone who says that the only real difference between a Nikon D70 and a Canon 20D is that:

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]"If you need a high frame rate, ISO 3,200 or prefer a heavier, more metallic camera the Canon is the clear winner.[/font]
[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]If you need immediate control of all critical adjustments without menus, light weight or fast daylight flash sync the D70 wins."
[/font]

I've never read this guy's website but that quote sounds like he's compairing the two cameras and listing their strongest points. I agree with everything that is being said there...and I shoot with both a 10D and D70. Back to the matter at hand, this isn't a debate session between the 20D and D70, It's more of a Rebel XT vs. D70 decision help thread and has stayed away from the Nikon vs. Canon death match, so lets try and keep it that way.

hobbes28 said:
I've never read this guy's website but that quote sounds like he's compairing the two cameras and listing their strongest points. I agree with everything that is being said there...and I shoot with both a 10D and D70. Back to the matter at hand, this isn't a debate session between the 20D and D70, It's more of a Rebel XT vs. D70 decision help thread and has stayed away from the Nikon vs. Canon death match, so lets try and keep it that way.

Quite true quite true.

My contribution:

As many here have said, both the XT and D70 are quite compitent cameras. The big differences are the lens line and the feel of the camera. When you purchase an SLR, either film or digital, you are being into a line of lenses. These lenses are what are going to last years - not the camera. The camera will be long outdated, but the lenses will remain. So choose the camera whose lens line you like the most. Secondly, the big difference between the two camera bodies is the ergonomics. Handle each in the stoer and see which fits in your hand best and which controls you find easiest to use, etc. Don't worry too much about the 6 vs. 8MP. In most prints you'll be hard pressed to find a difference. You gain a smidgen more cropping ability with 8MP, but not a drastic advantage at all.

I just bought the new D70s Lens Kit with memory for a bargain price off ebay. should get it within the week. I've used the 300D and the D70 has a far superior build quality to it and the 300D takes around 3 seconds to start up whereas the D70 is pretty much instant.

kilifila66 said:
I have yet to cross myself over into the digital photography world, mainly because I can't decide which camera to get. I have narrowed it down to the Canon Digital Rebel Xt and the Nikon d70, I now am asking for some honest feedback from people who use them. Which do you like and why?

Thanks in advance

Go with Canon. No need to buy an old digital camera. Nikon doesn't have ISO 100 on their dSLRs by the way, at least the low end ones. :)

Most reactions

Back