DIGITAL SLR CAMERAS? HELP!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by kshinabery212, Dec 27, 2009.

1. kshinabery212

kshinabery212 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was wondering if anyone can recommend a Digital SLR camera that runs under $1000? My wife and I are probably going to buy one either today or tomorrow.

We thought about getting the Canon EOS Rebel XSI (450D)... But we are not 100% sure.

I want to get a camera that is not entirely too expensive that I can still produce good work and start working on fashion/model shoots... and still work with photo journalism or travel photography. My wife would like something practical that she can easily learn, although I would invest in taking a small class so that we know all the features. She has a good eye as well and I would like to see her start working on photography in her spare time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me at freyfarms212@yahoo.com .

Thanks,

Kenn.

2. HonCBRf4i

HonCBRf4i TPF Noob!

Find a slightly used camera body and use the extra $$ to buy decent glass.

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Hey Kenn,

The thing about digital SLR photography is when you chose a brand you're also commiting to a lineup of lenses and accessories.

Just about any digital SLR that costs under $1000 will work. There are some nuances that won't become apparent until you and your wife get more experience under your belt.

IMO, the best camera available right now for under $1000 is Nikon's D90. It has the very good image quality and ISO performance. Nikon also makes some quite good, relatively inexpensive kit lenses in addition to their lineup of pro glass.

4. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    taking great photos is not about the camera body.

Its about the lenses and the knowledge one has. I have an XSI and found my photography progressed faster after following some pros along as an assistant and then getting better lenses.

Canon or Nikon would be fine. I would look at either the Canon T1i or the Nikon D90 as a good entry level camera that is up to date with current technology

5. Wolverinepwnes

Wolverinepwnes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    NIKON D90!!!!

6. jacqg

jacqg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Get the D90, honestly you won't be disappointed!

7. K.Li

K.Li TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I myself uses a D90 so I would be bias since I don't have experience on other body to compare to, but I find the D90 to have everything you need without having too much "advance" functions that you won't use until you are way further into photography.

8. tom beard

tom beard TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with K.Li. Shot film for years then got a D-90 w/2 kit lenses and a SB-600 speedlight. It's like starting all over again, but even in automatic functions it's hard to take a bad picture. As I learn the camera, get better glass etc. I think it will take me as far as I want to go. Whatever you get, buy a good brand that is an integrated, well designed system. I did a lot of research and the D-90 seemed right for me, but it's all subjective. Tom Beard

9. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Get the NIKON D90! You and your wife will love it!

10. Andrew Boyd

Andrew Boyd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Buy either Canon or Nikon and you'll be fine. Both make quality cameras and have the lens systems to back them up, if you really get into it. I've got a post you might want to read about some of the things to consider when buying your first DSLR over at The Discerning Photographer photo blog.
    Good luck!

Andrew
    The Discerning Photographer

11. AfroKen

AfroKen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey, I don't wanna be a jerk, but shouldn't you do some more research than this if you are gonna drop $1000? That's a lot of money? What's the rush anyway?

Anyway, I'll probably go along with the D90 recommendations, although I've never used one. I'm still using an old D50 because I don't have $1000 to drop on a camera right now.

12. mrdemin

mrdemin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Seeing how you don't seem to know much what you want, I'd say a d5000/t1i and some glass... Unless you need a 35mm sensor