Do you actually feel your photography is improving?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by batmura, Aug 30, 2017.

1. batmura

batmura No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If so, how do you assess the quality of your work? Do you consult friends or pros to get feedback from their regarding your output? Do you simply view and compare your recent work with your earlier photos?

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Been shooting photos for 40-plus years..my work is 'always CHANGING...not sure about "mproving" though...in all honestly, the "improving" happened decades ago...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  3. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not what one would consider good, but my photos are better now than they were when I originally got a little serious about taking photos. That is down to reading up a little on why photos work, trying to improve composition etc, and things like learning what portraits are often better with catchlights. I can see my older photos were more cluttered and had less subject emphasis

• Like Like x 2
  4. webestang64

webestang64 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yepper.....:icon_cheers:

5. yaopey

yaopey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess when your photography has improved, you start getting some insight of what you should do or have done. You'll also pay more attention to composition and light to create an image, rather than taking a snapshot without thinking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Nope, been the same for years.

• Like Like x 1
  7. davidbeckphoto

davidbeckphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My quality standards have been pretty static for a while now, but I measure improvement by getting into more prestigious publications than the last time.

Started with Flickr photo of the day contests, then getting featured in social media collectives, then Instagram-only "magazines", then print magazines, now I aim my sites at bigger publications like Paper, Maxim, and Vogue Italia.

A lot of times the challenge is matching the style of the particular publication rather than taking a "better" photo per se.

• Like Like x 2
  8. suzuki

suzuki TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Of course ive improved.

Ive gone from knowing nothing, sans how to load film and push that button, to knowing how to actually take a photograph. Not just an unthinking snap shot, but figuring out the scene and adjusting the camera correctly. I now know what my style is, what looks right to me.

After all, the only one I have to please is myself. Its art.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Not sure what 'improve' means. I learnt to control my cameras 40-odd years ago. There is a bit to learn with each new camera but not a lot. My work is certainly changing as I am becoming more abstract in many ways which is a million miles away from the industrial archeology of the 1970s.

My method if judging my pictures has changed as well. I now rely on local artists accepting my pictures into their exhibitions - big advantage is that most artists could not care less about 'tack sharp'.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I feel like I'm always in the two steps forward one step back mode. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as it does involve progress/improvement! When you learn something new you take a giant leap forward but then you have some backslide until you learn to master your new skill. There are so many different skills to master when it comes to photography. Everything from proper hand held technique to metering to cloning to skin smoothing to doing a multi exposure merge.

I assess the quality of my photos by seeking critique on sites like TPF and from my photo meetup group, by critiquing my own images (I'm much harsher than anyone on this site when it comes to my own stuff) and by showing my work to non photographers who I know will give me their honest opinions.

Looking at my earlier photos, I think I've improved quite a bit overall but still a long way to go if I want to feel like my work is as good as what the photographers that I admire are producing.

Fortunately, like golf and sex, photography can be enjoyed even if you're not good at it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. rexbobcat

rexbobcat Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Not really.

12. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

I would like to say I've improved considerably this year.

On average I shoot about 900-1200 "keeper" photos each year. This year already I've shot 3000 photos so my keeper rate has gone up significantly. Honestly, I'd like to say that switching to just shooting mostly with primes has really helped me out a lot. I've also been trying to stop thinking about what people think about my work, stop thinking about gear and just be comfortable with my style or stop trying to emulate a certain photographer who I can never be. I am who I am and I have learn to be comfortable with that and just go out and make photos even if they suck, at least I am shooting for me and not someone else. I also learned it's okay to miss photo opportunities, no need to get depressed over it, just move on. I also stopped forcing myself to take photos EVERY DAY, I shoot when I want. If I take a week off, then so be it.

2017 has been a good year for my photography and to think in the beginning of the year I felt like giving it all up. I have actually improved. Who would've thought?!

• Like Like x 5