Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Never

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 21 50.0%

• Total voters
On my 50mm, no way.

Why 'No Way'?

I picked sometimes, but only because I don't have a hood for all of my lenses. The ones I have a hood for always have the hood on, unless I'm using a CPL or something - pain in the ass to adjust with the hood on.

^^^ What lens would you say a lens hood would be useful for?

Well, any lens - I'm just saying that as large of a range that the 55-250 has, compromises had to have been made in the hood. Most likely, it isn't really doing anything at the wide end.

EDIT

Oops!

I had that backwards! It probably works fine at the wide end, but doesn't do anything at the long end.

If you put a hood made for a 200mm lens on a 50mm lens, you would be able to see it in the corners of the picture.

Helen B did mention something like that in the past. (Zoom lens with hood)

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...o-gallery/145375-lens-hood-5.html#post1443615

hmm maybe i should give my lens hood a try next time I use my 55-200mm

I started using them more consistently when I took off all my UV filters. They are cheap lens protection and don't put a layer of glass in front of my optics.

Only outdoors when Its real sunny. No hood indoors unless there is a lot of flouresent lighting.

does anyone have a comparsion of the same photo taken with and without a hood to illustrate differences?

Since I shoot with Canon, I don't really have to worry about hoods as lens flare isn't a problem with most lenses, and when it does occur it's ever so slight and artistic... :D

So, I put "sometimes".

I shoot with Canon, and I should be using my lens hood more than I typically do! Consider yourself lucky...

Always, because I refuse to use pointless filters and then look to the hoods for protection against scrapes and bumps against walls, etc.

I always use the Lens hood for the lenses I have, shot for years without one but now I never take it off, seems like all my pics are better with the hood, no flare and easier to get an even exposure

The only time I don't use the hood is when using a circular polarizer.

For me it varies on a lens by lens basis:

70-200mm f2.8 IS L - all the time! The hood is always on this lens and I can't count the number of times the hood has bashed/bumped/scraped/pushed things out of the way and thus saved the front of the lens coming to harm. I take care of my gear, but bumps and scapes can happen (as do twigs and branches) and I would far rather have the hood on than not if just from a protection aspect.

150mm macro - very similar to the 70-200mm this lens again always has its hood on form protection. The bonus is that with a good working distance I can use the hood and still shoot macro shots

70mm macro - nope hardly ever. Its a metal hood and is far stronger than either my canon 70-200m, (which is plastic) or my 150mm sigma (which is some mystery sigma material) but it just does not work that well for me. For macro work the working distance is so small that using the hood hinders focusing and also lighting (the flashlight tends to cause big shadows with the hood). On the plus side the front glass is in a deep recess on this lens so it has its own "mini" hood as part of its design which gives some needed protection.

Canon MPE65mm - apparently there is a hood for this lens - I can't imagin using it at all since the working distances are even smaller than for the 70mm macro.

18-55mm kit lens - never came with one and I've never really felt a need for one on it. With its wide angle focal length any hood will be shot and thus offer minimal protection - though some is better than non - I just can't justify purchasing it for this lens (especailly as I hardly use it)

If you're a man, you'll use a hoodie

Hoods are also great for keeping dirty little fingers of the glass:

3372256987_23bb018a25_o.jpg

So basically....I should use it to look cool and b/c it protects haha great! I'm sold haha.

Just another noob question as I am still a little confused....

As it was mentioned earlier with certain types of lens the "usability" may not even be worth a hood. What lens/situation is the hood really good for?

There were posts about getting the correct hood. Some lens turn in the front end? I assume while it is focusing. How will I know if I am buying the right hood for my particular lens.

BTW, Overread thanks for the feedback. Seems like you always (in the majority of your post) give lengthy and thoughful feedback. Its well appreciated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back