Entry Camera for Street/Car photography

Which camera would you choose for value and my given situation?

• Canon Rebel 7Ti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fujifilm X-T20

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Pentax K-S2

• Sony A6300

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Canon Eos M6

• Total voters

ej25lol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Did a decent amount of research on cameras and have come down to a few I'm considering in the <$1,000 budget. I'm looking to do some casual photography for my own interest to take on a new hobby. My special interest/subject would be cars/automotive. I do hope/plan on making "car videos" as well with this upcoming camera. My goal is for this camera to be decent for the next 3-4 years until I really get "good" then I could upgrade to the nicer ones.

The main ones I'm deciding on are,

(Not in order of preference)
1. Canon Rebel 7Ti
2. Fujifilm X-T20
3. Pentax K-S2

On the back burner
4. Sony A6300
5. Canon Eos M6

I have been using www.cameradecision.com to compare the specs between these. I am a real novice so the specs I read, I might not be able to fully comprehend those specs in the real time during actual photography. I also have mirrorless cameras in my decision because I'm not a professional doing it as a job, the lightness could be something good as if I needed more battery I could just buy extra battery packs. Lenses is also another factor I briefly looked at, as I know lenses is very important factor. But because I don't have enough knowledge about the different lens options, I'm not sure if it would affect someone like me who isn't doing this has a full/part time job. But there could be lens out there that could be a "must have" for car photography CINE lens that one of these cameras don't have that would affect me.

My goal is to get other peoples opinions/experience so I could make a better informed decision. Maybe someone's story or opinion could make me think in a way I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks agian!

I also read that "4k" isn't really necessary right now? the 7Ti doesn't have 4k capability but after reading some articles, I'm starting to think that's true. That's something I was a little curious about still.

I have no included Nikon on my list because I have read a few places that the Canon is better for video in that range assuming that's true.

Fujifilm XT20 with kit lens. Excellent build quality, fantastic glass choices. Excellent image quality. Save up and get the 16mm f/1.4 at a later date.

X-Photographers

Fujifilm XT20 with kit lens. Excellent build quality, fantastic glass choices. Excellent image quality. Save up and get the 16mm f/1.4 at a later date.

X-Photographers
I am trying to get info on the X-T20 but I don't seem to find what I am looking for, would you know how good does the X-T20 does video auto focus ?

From your list I would get the Sony a6300, only one with good video AF and 4K, I know you say 4K isnt important but you might find in time it is and that's what I would choose.

Do you guys think headphone port is a "must" for car videography?

The headphones is for volume in video, you need this for event videography.

Sony A6300 is the best of the bunch.
XT20 is also very good (video not so good)
avoid Pentax like the plague (you'll never find stuff for it)
Also consider OMD EM10 II

The headphones is for volume in video, you need this for event videography.

Also for car videography correct?
If the cars are moving and engine is on and you want to have the people watching also hearing what is going on then yes it might be helpful.

That might change my camera selection then...I was leaning towards A6300 from the suggestions here but Sony doesn't seem to like to add the headphone jack feature.

I would also take a look at Olympus and Panasonic since you want to do video. The IBIS in Oly is great for video.

Anyone else do pictures and videography for cars? Thank you BrentC.

Most reactions

Back