Favorite Books/Novels

Interesting list everyone. I read quite a bit, 4 or 5 novels a month plus newspapers and magazines. Always nice to see what others read though. Might have to pick up a few of these books once I am done with my current to read stack.

i typed a big long response with explanations and everything... links even. then before i could post it, we got a power surge here and everything went down. :-( i hate that!

anyway, i'm not typing all that again. i'll give you the short versions. 3 books i'd recommend:

the alienist by caleb carr
the lovely bones by alice sebold
stiff: the curious lives of human cadavers by mary roach

all very good. i thoroughly enjoyed each one of them. and as a general rule, i hate to read. so when i like a book it has to be exceptionally interesting or else i never end up finishing it. i have way too short of an attention span.

I know this will group me in with about a million other people, but I absolutely LOVE Stephen King. ANYTHING by him, I will read. Um...don't have too much time to do much reading other than that, but...let's see if I can remember some titles I liked....OOh, "A Child called it" by Dave somethingorother, the sequel to that-"The lost boy" and the last of the series, "A Man named Dave." Great, true stories, but don't read em if you are squeemish about hearing about child abuse. Um, I know this is a classic that everyone has heard of, but I read "The Grapes of Wrath" a while back. Everyone thought I was nuts when I read it for the pleasure of it, rather than for class or something. Um, well, I know I've read other good books, just can't think of em at the moment, so that's my contribution for the time being!

core_17 said:
I know this will group me in with about a million other people, but I absolutely LOVE Stephen King. ANYTHING by him, I will read. Um...don't have too much time to do much reading other than that, but...let's see if I can remember some titles I liked....OOh, "A Child called it" by Dave somethingorother, the sequel to that-"The lost boy" and the last of the series, "A Man named Dave." Great, true stories, but don't read em if you are squeemish about hearing about child abuse. Um, I know this is a classic that everyone has heard of, but I read "The Grapes of Wrath" a while back. Everyone thought I was nuts when I read it for the pleasure of it, rather than for class or something. Um, well, I know I've read other good books, just can't think of em at the moment, so that's my contribution for the time being!

That reminds me!!! From a Buick Eight by Stephen King. I was going to read it on the flight but wanted to start it before I left so I could already be into the story. Read the whole thing in one sitting.

Actually, that was the last Stephen King I read! I loved it, but...as I said, I haven't not liked a Stephen King yet! Horror stories are my favorite! (although his non-horror stories are great too!). My favorite thing in the world is reading one of his books, all by myself in my apartment on the edge of town...the apartment building that is empty accept for me...that is near the cornfields...down the road from the creepy cemetary outside town that I grew up hearing ghost stories about...and totally FREAKING MYSELF OUT! I LOVE IT! I know, I'm weird, but hey...whatever floats your boat, right?

Well my Favorite Book(s) of all time would have to be the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series. They're absolutely Hilarious and quite entertaining. Umm Other than that I don't really have them in order but

Da Vinci Code - Angels & Demons

The other two Dan Brown books, Deception Point and Digital Fortress

Anything by Vince Flynn

I'm reading The Eight by Katherine Neville right now and I'm loving it so far!

My reading has been interupted quite a bit by school and work lately. I try to read at least one novel a month if not more! I'm gonna check out some of the works suggested here. Thanks!!

Oooh, just remembered one of my favorite moment like that...I was ready a story in Stephen Kings short story book he came out with a while back, "Everything's Eventual"...it was a freaky one, and I fell asleep on my living room floor reading it. Just after I fell asleep I could SWEAR I heard my door opening (only 7 feet from where I was laying) and footsteps walking toward me. I instantly awoke and jumped up, adrenaline shooting through my veins! It was great!

It has been a while since I've done some serious reading.

Fav authors: Salman Rushdie and Arundhati Roy.
Autobiog: Lee Iacocca, Warren Buffet, currently reading 'Richard Branson' (Virgin Atlantic).
Magazines: Business Week, Geographic, NG Traveller, LensWork, most of the photog mags.
News: Financial Times, Corbis, Magnum

Time is what I lack!

Time is also the enemy for me.....I grew up being a huge bookworm, now I'm lucky if I plow through 3-4 books a year. It's killing me. I love to read.

Some of what's been mentioned here are faves: Stephen King (though I get annoyed when I perceive he's dashing something off a little sloppily for money), the recent Dan Brown books. He's a lot of fun to read. I confess I love "classic" literature a great deal, because I enjoy the more formal treatment of the English language. I love reading plays, too - Arthur Miller to Oscar Wilde. A wild read recently was "A Confederacy of Dunces", by the late John K. Toole. A real kick.

Not exactly life-altering, but certainly compelling to read because of its anguished end, was "Hanta Yo", by Ruth Beebe Hill, a literal translation of Indian documents outlining the lives of the Sioux (formerly Lakotah) tribes. That book can really take you to a different place and time.

And I miss Carl Sagan bunches, like I'm sure Orie does. (sigh....)

Uncle John's Bathroom Readers. -I have a short attention span! :eyebrows:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back