FD to EOS lens converter for Canon 30d

rp1600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am considering possibly purchasing a converter that will allow me to use my Canon fd lens on the 30d and looking for feedback, personal experiences, etc. if any of you have used one before.

I've got plenty of FD mount lens that i hate to see just sitting there idle.

Thanks

I've seen this discussed in many places all over the internet. The usual consensus is that unless you have some spectacular FD glass...it's not worth it.

Because the adaptor moves the lens farther away from the camera...it needs to have an optical element (otherwise you would loose infinity focus) and the optical quality of most of these adaptors is sub par to say the least.

At one time, Canon did make FD to EOS adaptors but they were never sold commercially. They were only handed out to professional photographers who were angry that Canon was changing their lens format after they were heavily invested in FD lenses. They can be found but they are rare and expensive.

The usual advice is to just use your lenses on your old film body and be happy with that.

For details, check this link (probably the most comprehensive info on this elusive converter)

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdeos.htm

Keep in mind, this converter was deigned to work with only certain FD lenses.. mostly 200mm and above. Aside from being very expensive, it results in a magnification of 1.26x and a 2/3-stop reduction in lens speed.

Shorter focal lengths were never officially supported.. so if your collection of FD glass is in the 28-150mm range like mine, seems like you're stuck with film or have to give up infinity focus.

Alternately, you can get a converter with third-party optical elements for focus correction, but as the reason for keeping my FD stuff is for the sake of the superb glass, I wouldn't want to compromise it by sticking some noname optics behind the lens.

Yes unless by some miracle you find a genuine Canon optical adapter for a reasonable price, any cheap adapter containing glass will probably degrade quality to the extent that it defeats the point of using the FD lenses.

Most reactions

Back