Film Camera for Black & White Class

Sleepy_Sentry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.esgameservers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm taking a black and white photography class at a university, and will be rolling my own film. I have a digital camera, but need a film camera with adjustable settings. What some decent, inexpensive SLR film cameras?

Tons on Ebay at bargain prices. Nikon FE, or FE2. Pentax K1000. Canon AE1. Just to name a few. You should be able to find something with a basic 50mm lens, in very good condition, for less than 100 bucks.

If you're wanting a very basic camera, people rave about the Pentax, though I've never used one.

Yes, all of those cameras are perfect for what you need and dirt cheap. I bought my k1000 with a 28mm f2.8 lens for $60 on Ebay. A friend of mine bought one with a 50mm for $14. His is a fancier version of my camera too - I'm jealous.

dinodan Tons on Ebay at bargain prices. Nikon FE, or FE2. Pentax K1000. Canon AE1.

I have to add one more to this absolutely dead on list. Minolta XG-M or sr-T101. Ok, that's two. These cameras, all of those mentioned are system cameras that can be built and used and adored and had fun with for years still to come. Don't let age deter you. These cameras are great.

If you want something a little more modern that still has fully manual capabilities then I would suggest a Nikon N65. Allows full control and still gives me the ability to be lazy if I want to, which is seldom.

Thanks for the advice guys. One model I was considering is the Rebel 2000.
Used Canon | EOS Rebel 2000 35mm SLR Autofocus Camera | 2067A004

Would this be a good one?

One thing I noticed about all these cameras is they use CR-2 batteries, which look hard to find a bit pricey. How long do these batteries lost before needing to be replaced? One thing that attracted me about the Rebel 2000 is I can pick up a battery grip for about $20 that lets me use AA batteries. I already own some really good rechargeable AA batteries that I use for my digital camera, so I would probably end up saving money on batteries.

Thanks for the advice guys. One model I was considering is the Rebel 2000.
Used Canon | EOS Rebel 2000 35mm SLR Autofocus Camera | 2067A004

Would this be a good one?

One thing I noticed about all these cameras is they use CR-2 batteries, which look hard to find a bit pricey. How long do these batteries lost before needing to be replaced? One thing that attracted me about the Rebel 2000 is I can pick up a battery grip for about $20 that lets me use AA batteries. I already own some really good rechargeable AA batteries that I use for my digital camera, so I would probably end up saving money on batteries.

I've had the same battery in my K1000 for about 7 years, and it only costs around 5 bucks... batteries are no reason to choose a camera.

Although, you can probably use it, I wouldn't recommend a fully auto camera like the Rebel for a photography class. (your instructor might not even want you to) The autofocus and other auto features can make understanding how photography 'works' harder. Later on, after you've learned the basics about exposure the hard way, with a fully manual camera like the ones mentioned, then move up to something auto.

Canon AE-1, Fully functional SLR on the Canon FD mount,

The AE-1 is inexpencive due to the shere number of units sold during it's term of service.

Canon FD lenses are inexpencive and available due to incompatibility with modern equipment.

You can aquire a body and several lenses for around $100 (USD)

I've had the same battery in my K1000 for about 7 years, and it only costs around 5 bucks... batteries are no reason to choose a camera.

Although, you can probably use it, I wouldn't recommend a fully auto camera like the Rebel for a photography class. (your instructor might not even want you to) The autofocus and other auto features can make understanding how photography 'works' harder. Later on, after you've learned the basics about exposure the hard way, with a fully manual camera like the ones mentioned, then move up to something auto.

You nailed it on both points. ;)

E-mail me at [email protected]

I have a Pentax K-1000 sitting in my closet I'd sell you REAL cheap.

paul, nyc

Now is a great time to take a photography class. If you keep your eyes open, you can find film camera bodies and lenses for an absolute steal. I found my Minolta 450si with a Sigma 28-80 3.5-5.6 and a Tiffen Haze filter for $20 at Goodwill. I've also seen them selling another Minolta with 3 lenses, flash, and filters for about $110. Unfortunately they wouldn't split up the kit, otherwise I would have taken the flash and one of the lenses!

An automatic camera is okay, but only if it has the option to be operated in full manual mode. If your photography class is anything like mine, that will actually be a requirement of the class. In all my shooting and my photo class, I've never taken my camera off of manual, except for autofocus. But then again, I have control issues. :lol:

I'd suggest the same, unless you have a relative with a large pile of nice glass*, the K1000 is probably the best (and most durable) of the bunch, and as a side benefit, you can probably sell it and not lose a dime should you choose to not stay with film.

erie

*I reminded my neice that if she got a Nikon, she'd have access to about any lens she'd need or want

epatsellis, a question if I may, how much better are the KL lenses for the Rb 67 than the C's?

I've been toying with getting one but like to know what I'm jumping into (as I tend to go head first ;)).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back