Filter step up worth it?

BrianLy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just ordered my 18-105 lens for a walk around, is it worth it for me to get the step up too 77 filter size? I don't plan on removing the filter.

It depends; you may get slight vignetting at 18-19mm without it, but at the same time, than you will also have to buy a larger lens cap.

Let's say money isn't a problem, would you if you were in my shoe?

One filter to a lens is what I have been doing, is there any benefit from the step up is all I'm wondering.

If your filters aren't causing vignetting (and they shouldn't be if you're just using one), then the reason to use a step up is so that you can share 1 filter on multiple lenses. For my setup, I have UV filters that I use for protection, one for each lens. These stay attached _most_ of the time. I'll take them off if I'm shooting into a light source that's causing flare. I also have a circular polarizer and a neutral density filter in the size of my largest lens, with step up rings so I can attach them to smaller lenses. I'll take the UV's off if I'm going to be using one of the other filters as well.

Is there much of a difference between Hoya and Tiffen filters?

I've not used either of those, but Heliopan and B+W are both great. Hoya seems to be regarded pretty well from what I've heard.

The main things I look for when buying filters are:
Brass ring mount, to reduce the likelihood that it gets deformed and stuck on the lens, as well as for long term durability.
Multi-coated glass. Multi-coating comes in a bunch of varieties... at the very least you want coatings to suppress flare and reflections. Additionally you can get coatings that improve durability.

If money isn't a problem, why not buy a better lens? :er:

If money isn't a problem, why not buy a better lens? :er:
I was looking at the 18-200 but I don't see myself using the 150-200 a lot since I had the 55-200, and the 18-135 has no VR so I settle with this. And my brother and cousins uses my camera a lot.

I meant something like the 17-55m F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8.

When I said money isn't an issue, I do not mean I have thousands to spend bro, I mean you see the filters online, they go for no more then $100 for a UV filter.

Most reactions

Back