Finding your style

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
One of the most important things as a photographer is finding your unique style. Finding what defines your images and makes you different from the crowd.
Don't want to shoot like everyone else. You want to be able to tell your story and convey you visual ideas in a different way.

Post 3 to 5 images you took that most demonstrate your photographic ideal. These are often images that you took and you can't stop looking at.

I'm a portrait photographer so it is only natural that I post a collection of portraits.
DSC_4106-Edit.jpg
DSC_6718.jpg
DSC_8790-Edit-2-Edit.jpg
DSC_3297-Edit.jpg
DSC_0825-Edit.jpg

Of the five you've posted, which is your favorite style?

I had some photos posted but took them down again: do you want us to post some of our own?

I can be dense at times, I admit. But I don't see a "style" in what you've posted.

You say, "Don't want to shoot like everyone else. You want to be able to tell your story and convey you visual ideas in a different way."

I have to say in response, being dense at times, I see pretty much what I have come to expect from any "portrait" photographer in your shots. Nice lighting, attractive models, good technical values on display. Nothing bad but also nothing that would make me remember your work over that of hundreds of others.

What do you see as your style? What makes you keep coming back to these photos?

And, don't you think "style" is a bit like saying your "art"? Somewhat overworked and most often pretentious IMO.

When I think style, I tend to think Sinatra, Elvis and Hendrix. These three are people who, among the thousands who were doing similar work at the time, made a style that was uniquely their own.

Each one had a style that was a self made amalgam of traits picked up from others and made their own by their personal power and imagination. What they did was really not that different than most others but they did it in a way which you could identify as only coming from them individually.

The hundreds of followers who jumped onto their bandwagon had no "style" of their own. Personal style is something that exists in one out of ten thousand similar voices. Tony Bennet's nice. Steve Lawrence made lots of recordings. But there's only one Sinatra. No Elvis impersonator is the real deal.

Sort of like the idea there are only X number of stories to be told, there are only Z number of subjects to photograph and only Y number of ways to do it. I take photographs of Z minus a great number of those subjects. I can't say I have a style of my own, I simply don't make a conscious attempt at copying what anyone else has done. I suspect though, someone else looking at my work would say they can see the same thing in my photos that they see in hundreds of others.

Doesn't bother me. There are only X number of stories to be told.

I just take photos. If there is a certain style i suppose that is for others to decide, contemplate, discuss.

I don't think I want to know which one you see as the "Ranger".
That's simply a quote from an old TV show.

The only connection it has to my post is that it contains the same phraseology.

That's how I roll.

That's how I roll.

Damn! I do hate being dense. It makes it so difficult to ... "roll".

That's how I roll.

Damn! I do hate being dense. It makes it so difficult to ... "roll".
P1020018.JPG

this time of year, usually khaki shorts, worn leather shoes (but good quality ones). For socks mostly just simple white cotton occasionally beige ones depending on what i am wearing.

You have to be pretty good before claiming you have style.

I just take photos. If there is a certain style i suppose that is for others to decide, contemplate, discuss.
Photographers develop a "style" by being consistent over time and doing things a certain way. I think it is pretentious to try to develop a "style" on purpose.

Photographers develop a "style" by being consistent over time and doing things a certain way. I think it is pretentious to try to develop a "style" on purpose.
So are you calling the o.p pretentious or do you not like my shoes? :biglaugh:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back