First 35mm SLR camera

primus diddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm taking a photography class at school and I'd like to get my own camera. I'd prefer something as similar to a Pentax K-1000 as possible. That's because we use mostly those in class. I'd just get one of those used but I'm leary about buying used stuff on eBay. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't want to spend too much either. $150-$200 would be fine.

Get a Ricoh KR-5 or KR-10. Very similar to a K-1000, and uses Pentax K-mount lenses. They go for $25 to $50 on Ebay. My first 35mm SLR was a KR-5.

You should be able to get a really nice K-1000 plus some lenses and accessories for under $150.

If you really want to spend $150 to $200 I'd get a Nikon FM2 or preferably a FM2n.

There is a reason why classes are taught with the Pentax K1000; Good camera, inexpensive, simple, straight forward. ( I own a few K1000s in my cabinet, I love the simple match needle metering )

If you prefer to get something as similar to the K1000 as possible, you might as well just get a K1000 and some nice glass. Rather than focus on what alternate camera to get, focus on a good place to get the K1000. I would recommend two reputable dealers: bhphoto.com and adorama.com. I'm on ebay a lot but you have to be willing to accept the risk...

Your other option is to buy a new camera that is based on the k1000 design. IIRC, vivitar makes several cheap SLRs based on the K1000 design and accepts the same K-mount lenses. IMO, I'd rather look for a good Metal bodied K1000 than spend the same amount of cash for a plastic copy.

I Recently got a Pentax K1000 from the late 80's, a 50mm lens and a 70-210 lens with it for 150, i would really look into getting one, they're great cameras.

Jeff

Most reactions

Back