Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A test using a fake cat

f9 1\200 of a second, low powered flash head w\ wireless

37730_10150243655385601_874590600_13908363_4857141_n.jpg

A test using a fake cat

f9 1\200 of a second, low powered flash head w\ wireless

I don't understand. Low key means dark subject matter. High key means light subject matter.

Low key means high light ratio....hence half the subject in shadow.high key is lower ratio like typical portraits.

Low key means high light ratio....hence half the subject in shadow.high key is lower ratio like typical portraits.

No. High key mean light-colored subject matter and background, and only that.

Don't contradict me again.

"High key
Techniques Glossary High key
A high key image mostly consists of highlights and midtones, is generally bright and even, and delicately toned, often with pastel and/or white shades.
Full article>>>"

"High key
A high key image mostly consists of highlights and midtones, is generally bright and even, and delicately toned, often with pastel and/or white shades.
Full article>>>"

Hatchet cat.

No. High key mean light-colored subject matter and background, and only that.

Don't contradict me again.

"High key
Full article>>>"

"High key
Full article>>>"

No it doesn't, and I will contradict you all I want, when you grow a set you can do something about it.:lol:

It is bright and evenly toned because it has a more balanced light ratio. It is a lighting term that has nothing to do with the color of your subject.

HIGH-KEY LIGHTING

A lighting scheme in which the fill light is raised to almost the same level as the key light. This produces images that are usually very bright and that feature few shadows on the principal subjects. This bright image is characteristic of entertainment genres such as musicals and comedies such as Peking Opera Blues (Do Ma Daan, Tsui Hark, Honk Kong, 1986)

LOW-KEY LIGHTING

A lighting scheme that employs very little fill light, creating strong contrasts between the brightest and darkest parts of an image and often creating strong shadows that obscure parts of the principal subjects. This lighting scheme is often associated with "hard-boiled" or suspense genres such as film noir. Here are some examples from Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, 1958.)

This was taken from a Yale Class website. Last I checked Yale was a fairly reputable educational source.

don't contradict me again.:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :soapbox:
:chatty: :Joker: :whip: :boogie: :boogie:

if you were serious...you're an ass.
if you were kidding...well done!

Apologies to the OP, I think it was a decent trial run. Now try it with a serious subject and see how it works. May need to fine tune to your taste, but I think the concept is there. Personally, I wouldn't leave the other eye in complete shadow, just the side of the face/head.

HIGH-KEY LIGHTING

A lighting scheme in which the fill light is raised to almost the same level as the key light. This produces images that are usually very bright and that feature few shadows on the principal subjects. This bright image is characteristic of entertainment genres such as musicals and comedies such as Peking Opera Blues (Do Ma Daan, Tsui Hark, Honk Kong, 1986)

LOW-KEY LIGHTING

A lighting scheme that employs very little fill light, creating strong contrasts between the brightest and darkest parts of an image and often creating strong shadows that obscure parts of the principal subjects. This lighting scheme is often associated with "hard-boiled" or suspense genres such as film noir. Here are some examples from Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, 1958.)

This was taken from a Yale Class website. Last I checked Yale was a fairly reputable educational source.

That is not correct. 'Key' refers to the tones, the values. Read the definitions I provided. These are commonly misunderstood. To illustrate, a high-key portrait would be of a blonde wearing light-colored clothing with light-colored background, and lighting that was even and without dark shadows. It's not just lighting.

Now, don't contradict me again!

http://www.flickr.com/groups/729513@N22/discuss/72157614513806951/

"Norman Phillips' book Lighting Techniques For High Key Portrait Photography for a definitive definition, and I quote, "High key is the term used to describe photographs with white or bright backgrounds and usually with bright lighting situations that render subjects in a light tone similiar to that of the background. The ultimate high key portrait is one in which the background is a clean white and the subjects are also attired in white. High key exists wherever the predominant tones in the image are somewhat brighter than the middle key."

"About.com Photography says, "High key pictures [can] contain small areas of dark tones, for example in the iris of the eyes in a portrait."

a high key image must have:
1-A white or very light pastel background.
2. Subjects(s) dressed in white or light pastel clothing.
3. Little or no contrast.
4. Little or no heavy shadows.
5. Few middle tones.

A high key image will not have:
1. Any overexposure of the subject.
2. Any areas below the middle tone except for small areas like the iris of the eyes."

You can thank me when you have time.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back