first shot at product photography

Not enough contrast imo. Just doesn't look yummy.

A good place to look for some inspiration is this photographer, bill simone. On his site www.billsimonephotography.com, look under "things" and you'll find some food shots strewn about. His other site www.simoneassociates.com has an abundance of food shots though. I think he mainly lights with one light, a very large softbox, and adds fill with cards if needed.

Lighting is your biggest problem in these photos, along with probably that background. You could make the shallow DOF work if the rest of the picture was immaculate. I'd honestly read up on lighting techniques. What David B said is spot on...great images by the way David. I'd look into strobist.com for free lighting techniques (it really is a great site for off camera lighting). They deal mainly with smaller flashes (nikon speedlights, canon 580ex, etc) but light is light, it all acts the same (physics). I would also pick up a book called Light: Science and Magic. It explains what David meant by specular highlights, and teaches you about light so you can use it more effectively and efficiently.

They're OK, but not phenomenal. The 3rd shot looks pretty good, but a tiny bit out of focus. Maybe use a smaller aperture.

The first and second ones just look a bit dull. There isn't much "going on". That could easily be fixed in Photoshop, though, just by upping the contrast.

I think the 4th one should be zoomed out a bit (to show all of the cupcakes), and a much smaller aperture should be selected, so all of them are perfectly in focus.

I don't know why, but I just don't really like the last one. I'm not sure what I don't like about it.

But as I said, they're not at all bad, just a little dull. Nice work, though!

I'm hungry now.

I like the photos, but one of the things that you could've improved while you were taking these photos were to add more positive lighting. The lighting (natural sunlight, I think?) in your photo is too dull, which makes it not interesting.

im no expert either but a lot of your photos are very soft and lacking in contrast and general oomph. Its a lot of money but picking up some nice studio flashes and learning how to use them will serve you well, they have helped my indoor photography come on in leaps and bounds!

not really focussed, and white balance appears off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back