First week with my Canon Rebel T2i. Longboarding/Rugby

iamthepip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please Tell me what i can work on. i am very open to criticisms!

like i said in the post title my camera is a Canon rebel T2i i am using the standard 17-55mm lense. iso-automatic

take a look at my work tell me what you think, what should i work on? what should i work on? how can i be a better photographer.

Thanks

-Pip

Flikr.com/iamthepip

1)
4461094903_9187150549_b.jpg

2)
4461873284_3bb8fd2779_b.jpg

3)
4483148133_c651f26832_b.jpg

4)
4483148599_a1b17353a8_b.jpg

Last edited:
YES! Longboarding! Finally! I got one this year, and it amazes me.

Now for the photos though:

#1: That looks... alright. I think this photo would've looked way better if you had chosen a longer shutter speed. It would've given it a sense of speed. I like the look on the riders face though.

#2: Cool composition, that's an interesting idea. I think it's a bit "empty though, I would've gotten closer.

#3: Action-packed, I like that, it looks good.

#4: Again, action-packed image. This is the best of the bunch IMO. I like the wide crop.

Another thing: I think your colours look off. There might be something wrong with your camera's settings.

#2 is my favorite. I agree that it looks empty but I do like how all of the lines point towards the "subject" although it is far away.

The others look dull and boring to me, they could use some more color. Maybe you wanted them to look that way though...

YES! Longboarding! Finally! I got one this year, and it amazes me.

Now for the photos though:

#1: That looks... alright. I think this photo would've looked way better if you had chosen a longer shutter speed. It would've given it a sense of speed. I like the look on the riders face though.

#2: Cool composition, that's an interesting idea. I think it's a bit "empty though, I would've gotten closer.

#3: Action-packed, I like that, it looks good.

#4: Again, action-packed image. This is the best of the bunch IMO. I like the wide crop.

Another thing: I think your colours look off. There might be something wrong with your camera's settings.

#2 is my favorite. I agree that it looks empty but I do like how all of the lines point towards the "subject" although it is far away.

The others look dull and boring to me, they could use some more color. Maybe you wanted them to look that way though...

Thanks for the feed back i agree with the first longboarding pic i told the rider to start sliding and doing tricks becuase you cant tel what speed he is going at although he was going pretty fast :p longer shutter speed ill try next time thank you :)

and for the color i chose to saturate the colors and bring out the colors that looked good. but hey if it looks bad tell me haha

thanks for your feedback

The saturation you did brought out the reds to the detriment of other colors including flesh tones.

First off, get out and do some similar stuff using the "standard" picture style. When you have a feel for how that presents colors and tones, edit the user defined #1 picture style using standard as a base and take the saturation down about 2 "notches". Shoot some similar stuff again but this time alternate picture style "standard" with your "user defined #1" on the same subjects and compare them (looking at clothing colors and skin tones) on the monitor you use to edit pictures (with Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or whatever you use).

The only difference there should be in the way the pairs are shot is the reduced saturation in "user defined #1" Picture style.

If you like what you see with the reduced saturation on the "standard" based picture style, go to "user defined #2" and edit that one using "neutral" as a base and again reduce the saturation by 2 "notches". Now go out and shoot similar subjects (sport uniform with reds but don't go for motion, keep it simple to manage) and do 3 on each setup. Standard, user defined #1, and user defined #2.

Compare and pay close attention to what happens with reds, skin tones, and general contrast.

You may find that most of your work looks best with the "standard" picture style and if that is the case look at the preset picture styles and test out the ones that would seem to fit the subject material you like to shoot.

Canon has given us a great tool in these picture styles, but in the video forums a much modified "superflat" picture style is causing problems with skin tones so anything you do with modifying picture styles needs to be very carefully tested before depending on them for actual "shoots".

The saturation you did brought out the reds to the detriment of other colors including flesh tones.

First off, get out and do some similar stuff using the "standard" picture style. When you have a feel for how that presents colors and tones, edit the user defined #1 picture style using standard as a base and take the saturation down about 2 "notches". Shoot some similar stuff again but this time alternate picture style "standard" with your "user defined #1" on the same subjects and compare them (looking at clothing colors and skin tones) on the monitor you use to edit pictures (with Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or whatever you use).

The only difference there should be in the way the pairs are shot is the reduced saturation in "user defined #1" Picture style.

If you like what you see with the reduced saturation on the "standard" based picture style, go to "user defined #2" and edit that one using "neutral" as a base and again reduce the saturation by 2 "notches". Now go out and shoot similar subjects (sport uniform with reds but don't go for motion, keep it simple to manage) and do 3 on each setup. Standard, user defined #1, and user defined #2.

Compare and pay close attention to what happens with reds, skin tones, and general contrast.

You may find that most of your work looks best with the "standard" picture style and if that is the case look at the preset picture styles and test out the ones that would seem to fit the subject material you like to shoot.

Canon has given us a great tool in these picture styles, but in the video forums a much modified "superflat" picture style is causing problems with skin tones so anything you do with modifying picture styles needs to be very carefully tested before depending on them for actual "shoots".

For rugby shots you need to crop closer in camera also try to get them running towards you http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Rugby-League/Dewsbury-Rams-V-Sheffield/Image00016/140240767_MGLjD-XL.jpg

thanks guys!

Bif: i will work on just taking pics and not photoshopping them until i understand what goes into a good picture BTW i PM'd you

Gsgary: yea i will do it next time also its hard with the standard 17-55mm lense.. it was funny though i was literally running on the side lines getting pics of them running haha i also have some pics of them running towards me but i feel they didnt turn out as well :/

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back