fish eye attachment

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mxracer32, Oct 13, 2008.

1. mxracer32

mxracer32 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    im wondering if anyone has used a fish eye attachment and has some pics? i searched and found some in old threads but no one really said what they were shooting with (what the attachment was on)

ive got a canon 20d with a sigma 24-70 f2.8; i would love a fisheye lense but the cash flow is a problem, plus its nothing more then an effect lense, though i seem to be intrigued by this and would like to play around with one. i shoot mostly dirtbikes, motocross. i shot with a sigma 10-22 last weekend and got just a small amount of distortion. back to my original questions, id like to see some pics with info regarding what it was shot with..and if anyone has suggestions on which 'cheap' attachments are better then others. thanks.

2. mxracer32

mxracer32 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    **i shoot for fun and for no other reason. i understand you get what you pay for, and that i will lose considerable qaulity with the attachment.

3. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you must not have found any of my posts about this, cause I've raved about the attachment I use.. .. I use the Merkury Optics 52mm 0.45x Wide Lens w/Macro the photos I will show were either shot with my d40 or d50.. the fisheye screws onto the end of my 18-55mm lens and it does an amazing job for the money (about 40 bucks) you will notice no bubble look in my pictures.. this is because i hate that look and i dont zoom all the way on on the lens, which creates that look..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope that helps..

4. LateModelSedan

LateModelSedan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    whatever you do, do not buy one of those cheap screw on "fisheye" adapters. save your money and invest in a true fisheye lens. you will never get the same results from the adapter as you would from a good quality fisheye lens. even if money is an issue i wouldnt recommend the adapter. check out some of mav's photos for great examples of the nikon 10.5.

5. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if you read his post at all, you would see that he doesnt want to spend the money on a fisheye... he's just doing it for fun, and wants to use a a screw on... obviously it is smarter to get a true fisheye, but not everyone has 600-1000 dollars to buy one.

6. mxracer32

mxracer32 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the thing is, i really like the look, but its one of those things that when used too much, it gets played out, QUICKLY. more or less it will be me trying it out and seeing how much i actually use it. i always *think* i will use something more then i do. if i decide "wow, its great, i want it on my camera 24/7!" then i will invest in a good condition, used lense. the 40 bucks is still cheaper then what it would cost for me to rent a lense for a week, and that still wont give me the answer im looking for.

chrisburke, i actually have run across your threads\pictures, but you use yours for the wide angle. I am looking for the bubble\distortion and your photos, from what ive seen posted, do not show that. i didnt know however, that the more you zoom the more you get a 'bubble'.

7. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yea I use the lens for the wide angle.. so that I can get close to the skater (so you can see them), even zoomed out you still dont get that bubble look.. its there a bit, but not a whole lot.. if that is the look your going for, the attachment i recommended isnt for you, you need a fisheye.. a proper one.

8. mxracer32

mxracer32 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you said if you zoom all the way in so you have no bubble look. i noticed this as well when i used a sigma 10-22 on my 20d; but when zoomed all the way out, and a picture is taken close, i get some distortion. would you mind taking a pic with your setup, zoomed all the way out so i can see what caliber of 'bubble' effect your attachment is capable of? doesnt have to be anything special, a tree, pole, picture of a room, whatever.

9. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yea, i'll post one for you in a bit.. gotta go check out an old abandoned building.. might make for some cool shots.

10. LateModelSedan

LateModelSedan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i did read his post [duh]. if he can invest in the body certainly he can invest in the glass down the line. i gave him that advice because yours was so bad. you've [admittedly] been raving about that attachment forever and quite frankly the results are horrible. to the original poster, save your money and buy what you need to get the results you want. you get what you pay for.

11. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    unfortunatley i think your wrong in saying "if he can invest in the body certainly he can invest in the glass down the line" this isnt true.. not everyone can afford a 500 or 600 dollar body and a 600-1000 dollar lens, some can, some cant... i think your a bit of a dick for saying that the results from my lens are horrible, because they look great, and I've gotten nothing but compliments (not just from people who dont know photography, but also from photographers) my advice is bad, if you have 700 bucks to spend on a lens, but if you dont have that kind of money, then its better than nothing.

12. LateModelSedan

LateModelSedan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the entire purpose of buying equipment of that caliber is to eventually invest in glass not cheap useless $40 attachments that give poor results. i think its clear by most of your posts that you're the dick, and if you think your results are great then hey, good for you. anything else you'd like to add?