Fitness and Motivation

I've been trying to lose weight for the last few years. But the situation around my weight gain was much different.
I also happen to have a small gym in my basement. So lack of motivation is the main obstacle that I have, and working full time, various hobbies, and oh yeah, 4 young kids in the house all the time.

I'm realistically not overweight, just not the weight I want to be or was say, 15 years ago. I need to lose 30 lbs to make me feel good and where I want to be.

But I have also helped friends lose weight. The first thing I tell them is start to read ingredients, and try to avoid all types of corn syrup as that usually indicates suspended & saturated simple sugars (ie, way too much simple sugar). You'll find it in certain spaghetti sauces, frozen foods, canned fruits / veggies, about everywhere. And yes, in soda pop too.

I've recently started a new routine in the morning and so far it's working. I'm massively out of shape but my goal is to get into "good" shape for what I want. My routine is mostly cycling (indoor trainer because it's too cold out now) for anaerobic, weights for upper, mid and lower body. I also have a treadmill, but I hate using it.

I don't use any of those TV sold motivational things. I used to race bicycles and have a long history of training, so my motivation is the "feeling" of the training and the satisfaction I get out of it. But when you are woofully out of shape getting back to a point where it is satisfying is my main problem (plus available time)

Nice thread. It will be interesting to see what people are doing.

Ah okay, cool! Before I start on my personal rant, I'd just like to rant a little about P90X. It's a really great program...if you do it in its entirety - meaning you go in order, take the rest days, and follow the meal plan. I think that's why a lot of people don't see the results they want. It's designed as a program and not really as a stand alone product, so in order to get the "results not typical" kind of results in the television, you have to basically live the program. :(

Now, I have an agitating situation. I've always been skinny no matter how much or little I eat. I basically stay the same weight, but it's not enough weight. 5'11 140lbs of pure bone.

Plus the fact that I have a problem eating enough calories. Like, physically, I can't eat that much at all most days.

If I could gain 10-15 lbs of muscle I'd be good, so those are my goals. Start eating healthy calorie dense foods and gain muscle... Somehow.

There are so many different workouts and crap I'm not really sure where to begin.

Also: what kind of foods/what's the easiest way to eat enough calories to make building muscle worthwhile. Does anyone know of some helpful resources?

You're right about the P90X - for maximum results, you've really got to follow the whole program. And quite frankly, I never expected to get the same results as in those testimonials, but I thought it would do something. I followed the exercise schedule and I tried to follow the diet as closely as I could but had to modify it a little. For example, I had to find alternatives to the foods on their plan that I don't eat. I also had a problem finding a good recovery drink. I hate that so many of them are sweetened with Stevia - that stuff doesn't sit well with me. I ended up making my own.

The thing that freaked me out the most was how many calories I was supposed to eat. I know everyone is different and I could figure out my own levels, but that I still had to eat more than I was used to and that quite frankly scared me. The biggest problem, however, was that there were other things going on that were affecting my metabolism, to the point that I thought for a while I was hypothyroid. Might actually have been headed that way, but I made changes to my diet, cut out almost all the processed soy crap I'd been eating to get protein, and started feeling a lot better.

When I do try the program again, I know what to expect and I'll plan for it better.

As for gaining muscle, I'm sure you know to get enough protein, right? There are some foods other than meat that are surprisingly high in protein that maybe you could start adding in to sneak in more calories, like having a quinoa pilaf instead of rice pilaf.

The Greek yogurt is higher in protein than regular yogurt because it's been strained. And here's a little trick - just buy a big tub of regular plain yogurt and strain it yourself. Put a paper towel in a strainer, put it over a bowl, pour the yogurt in and in about an hour or so - depending on how thick you like the yogurt - you've got "Greek" yogurt. And the liquid that has been strained out? That's sweet whey and can be kept to use in cooking. It's great in baking and I also use it when sauteing vegetables to add liquid without adding fat. I also use it in my big soups and stews that I make on the weekend in the crockpot. It will also add a few more grams of protein.

These are the things I'm used to thinking about (sneaking in protein where I can) not because I've been trying to gain muscle, but just because I don't eat meat (just fish maybe 3 times a month.)

I'm currently doing T25. It's a 25 minute a day workout that last 2 months. After doing Insanity with it's 40-60 minute workouts, this is a piece of cake to get through. If anyone would like to start the Insanity program or T25, I would love to start the 2 months w/ you. It's nice to have someone going through the same exact thing as you. =) Give me a shout if you're interested. =)

One of my eating secrets is to use a smaller plate for dinner. Portion size is a huge problem for people!! We tend to load up our plates and go for seconds! Smaller plate will trick you into thinking you ate more. :sexywink: Drink lots of water!! It's not only good for you but it keeps you feeling full. If you get snacky, drink some water w/ a few saltines. They will soak up the water and make you feel full. =)

I just ate a cookie while typing that!! Is that wrong? lol

I don't eat much meat either.

I did notice a long time ago my body yearns for something from red meat - a certain protein. I can't explain the problem without writing a couple pages LOL. But anyways I found getting one of those Arby's Jr Roast beefs ( from the $1.00 menu) maybe once a month eliminates a hunger problem I used to have that I could never solve.

To prevent my muscles from burning out I do use a protein supplement called MetRX. It is not a pure protein supplement but contains alot of other "things" and has more fat. I think it is defined as more of a meal replacement. Anyways, one packet is usually 3 drinks for me (plus a banana). I use it for muscle recovery and it works really well. But this is only when I get to more intense workouts.

Disclaimer... I am no expert.

However, personally... 11 years ago i lost over 120lb's (from 290lb down to 170lb) and have been able to keep it off since then.
Also, I have a 16 year old son who is 6'8" and is constantly fighting to gain weight. I pay tons (OMG so much money :banghead: ) to Nutritionists, Dietitians and Trainers so i do have a little bit of advice....

Ah okay, cool! Before I start on my personal rant, I'd just like to rant a little about P90X. It's a really great program...if you do it in its entirety - meaning you go in order, take the rest days, and follow the meal plan. I think that's why a lot of people don't see the results they want. It's designed as a program and not really as a stand alone product, so in order to get the "results not typical" kind of results in the television, you have to basically live the program. :(

Now, I have an agitating situation. I've always been skinny no matter how much or little I eat. I basically stay the same weight, but it's not enough weight. 5'11 140lbs of pure bone.

Plus the fact that I have a problem eating enough calories. Like, physically, I can't eat that much at all most days.

If I could gain 10-15 lbs of muscle I'd be good, so those are my goals. Start eating healthy calorie dense foods and gain muscle... Somehow.

There are so many different workouts and crap I'm not really sure where to begin.

Also: what kind of foods/what's the easiest way to eat enough calories to make building muscle worthwhile. Does anyone know of some helpful resources?

My advice is... Your body seems happy to be where it is. Are you sure you want to 'beef-up'.

In my son's case, he does 2 things... Sports and School. His dream has always been to play Football for a D1 collage so he has worked to build his body to that level. But it has also required a strict diet, supplements, meal replacements and a work out regiment that would kill most people. He now has a few collages lined up waiting for him to decide... all with full medical staff of dietitians that will mold him how they want him.

In your case... if you are just trying to 'get ripped' i would suggest finding a local trainer who also offers nutrition advice. Because you are correct.. There are TONS of options out on the market and you have to find the one that works for you. You can go to GNC and they'll sell you a bunch of protein and creatine supplements that may help.. But if you REALLY want to add the muscle/weight and keep it you need to find a good trainer and commit.

Eating is the hardest, having a reasonable diet is even worse to maintain. I eat 6 meals a day, and it is brutal. But also you have to look at what is your ultimate goal? Do you want to be a bodybuilder, strong man, or be in general good health. People do not realize that carbs are good. What makes carbs the devil, is that people consume WAY too many calories vs how much they exercise.

Easiest most affordable good food are spinach, collards, chicken, ham(bacon included), oatmeal(peanut butter, syrup for a dash of flavor), sweet potatoes are just a few examples of good foods. If you want muscle you need to lift, and you need to eat to repair the muscle that you "damaged" to regrow bigger and stronger!! Squats, bench, and deadlifts are all great workouts.. especially squats! PM me if you want some more info Robocat.

Last edited:
Incorporate strength training (weights) into your workouts. A lot of people have the misconception that they'll get big or bulky if they do this.. which isn't the case without a LOT of hard work. You need testosterone (and a lot of it) to get huge. So females can't naturally get bulky, and men over the age of 25 have a tougher time with it. But increased muscle mass = higher metabolism, so make sure you're hitting those weights.

For motivation for me.. I use music. And lifting itself for me is motivation as I am an avid gym rat. I have a number of gym things (awkward gym moments, broscience, spot me girl, etc) that I follow on FB that post motivational videos, funny gym videos, funny pictures. Cool gym shirts, etc. It's a way to stay motivated. My current sweatshirt and one of the main reasons I go to the gym "F*ck stress, BENCH PRESS". Makes me laugh.

Good luck with your workouts all.

For me, I found my phone is an invaluable tool. I use an app called "Full Fitness." I just ended my college xc season, so I'm in pretty good shape. This app allows me to make/construct workouts, use pre-ones, or just search the thousands of workouts they have. I've found this incredibly useful, as it allows me to keep track of my progress, it brings structure and consistency to my workouts, and allows me to simply and easily review previous workouts. I use my phone for this app, but also for music. Without that, I would be lost!

OH! And cross train, cross train, cross train. As much as I enjoy running, it's good to throw in some cycling sessions, swim sessions, etc.

And in terms of weightlifting, I try and structure my workouts in super-sets. This allows me to shorten the duration of my workout(less time between sets), and it keeps your heart rate up more than traditional sets.

Jake

Incorporate strength training (weights) into your workouts. A lot of people have the misconception that they'll get big or bulky if they do this.. which isn't the case without a LOT of hard work. You need testosterone (and a lot of it) to get huge. So females can't naturally get bulky, and men over the age of 25 have a tougher time with it. But increased muscle mass = higher metabolism, so make sure you're hitting those weights.

For motivation for me.. I use music. And lifting itself for me is motivation as I am an avid gym rat. I have a number of gym things (awkward gym moments, broscience, spot me girl, etc) that I follow on FB that post motivational videos, funny gym videos, funny pictures. Cool gym shirts, etc. It's a way to stay motivated. My current sweatshirt and one of the main reasons I go to the gym "F*ck stress, BENCH PRESS". Makes me laugh.

True for me since I constantly eat my body is always burning calories. Also a person has to be realistic in their training vs lifestyle.

As anything else you have to be dedicated, a couple of donuts on the weekend isn't bad. A baker's dozen however is dangerous.

True for me since I constantly eat my body is always burning calories. Also a person has to be realistic in their training vs lifestyle.

As anything else you have to be dedicated, a couple of donuts on the weekend isn't bad. A baker's dozen however is dangerous.

Eh. One day of terrible eating wont make you fat just like one day of eating only salads wont make you skinny.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Eh. One day of terrible eating wont make you fat just like one day of eating only salads wont make you skinny.

I have cheating days bacon, wings, pints. It took a long time for me to cut the ice cream. I went from a half gallon in two days...so good! To ice cream cone once a week.

However, personally... 11 years ago i lost over 120lb's (from 290lb down to 170lb) and have been able to keep it off since then.
Also, I have a 16 year old son who is 6'8" and is constantly fighting to gain weight. I pay tons (OMG so much money :banghead: ) to Nutritionists, Dietitians and Trainers so i do have a little bit of advice....

My advice is... Your body seems happy to be where it is. Are you sure you want to 'beef-up'.

In my son's case, he does 2 things... Sports and School. His dream has always been to play Football for a D1 collage so he has worked to build his body to that level. But it has also required a strict diet, supplements, meal replacements and a work out regiment that would kill most people. He now has a few collages lined up waiting for him to decide... all with full medical staff of dietitians that will mold him how they want him.

In your case... if you are just trying to 'get ripped' i would suggest finding a local trainer who also offers nutrition advice. Because you are correct.. There are TONS of options out on the market and you have to find the one that works for you. You can go to GNC and they'll sell you a bunch of protein and creatine supplements that may help.. But if you REALLY want to add the muscle/weight and keep it you need to find a good trainer and commit.

Heh, well I know that my body is very happy where it is, but I'm also not one of those people who are like "guys, I can only bench press 200lbs *sad face* I'm SOOO weak and out of shape." No, it's more like "guys I tried to lift this box of soup cans over my head and I almost dropped it on myself *sad face*." I understand what you mean when talk about a body's equilibrium, but at the same time I kind of equate that to people who make excuses.

My body just really likes being 300lbs. I can't help it. :er:

I don't necessarily want to get ripped. I just want to look and feel less like someone who is actively dieting and more like someone who has an average amount of healthy mass.

Heh, well I know that my body is very happy where it is, but I'm also not one of those people who are like "guys, I can only bench press 200lbs *sad face* I'm SOOO weak and out of shape." No, it's more like "guys I tried to lift this box of soup cans over my head and I almost dropped it on myself *sad face*." I understand what you mean when talk about a body's equilibrium, but at the same time I kind of equate that to people who make excuses.

I don't necessarily want to get ripped. I just want to look and feel less like someone who is actively dieting and more like someone who has an average amount of healthy mass.

I say for your height 165-70 is good.

All it takes is dedication. I spend 2 to 3 hours in the gym a night. Takes hard work to get in shape and keep it.

My recipe has helped me drop from 20% body fat to 12.5% (as of last measure, 11/1/13) in 4 months. Phases 1 and 2 were mostly focused on fat loss while phase 3 focuses mainly on strength training to add muscle and bulk, phase 3 is where I am now.

Phase 1 (2 MTHS): 2 days metabolic/high intensity full-body strength cardio every week and 1 day strength training every week (@ 45-60min per day). 1550 calorie per day diet with 174g protein and 91g carbs per day along with a GNC Vitapak supplement
Phase 2 (1 MNTH): 1 day metabolic/high intensity full-body strength cardio every week and 2 days strength training every week (@ 45-60min per day). 1550 calorie per day diet with 174g protein and 91g carbs per day along with a GNC Vitapak supplement + Creatine on workout days
Phase 3 (1.5 MTHS so far): 1 day metabolic/high intensity full-body strength cardio every 2 weeks and 3 days strength training every week (@ 45-60min per day). 1550 calorie per day diet with 174g protein and 91g carbs per day along with a GNC Vitapak supplement + Creatine on workout days + BCAA on workout days

My next goal is to very soon add a 10-minute high intensity cardio session (such as 10mph sprints, 30sec on/10sec off) on 1 of my 3 off days while adding a 60-minute low intensity cardio session (such as a walk or slow bike) on the 2nd of my 3 off days leaving me with just 1 off day. This will help keep my endurance where I want it and keep the fat low.

*Disclaimer, the above diet regimen is for my body in particular and will not necessarily work for others. It is important to determine what is realistic and beneficial to oneself and implement that, you cannot always carbon-copy one's diet and expect it to work since everyone's makeup is different.

As far as my food intake, I've cut all pop, candy and other junk out. I still enjoy my meats, however one tip I heard from a trainer is the fewer legs an animal has the better it is for you. Obviously fish is the best, then foul (chicken, etc.) and lastly the least healthy being beef, pork and the like. I've personally found the rule of replacement to help me a great deal, I.E. exchanging pop with an occasional energy drink or water with a splash of flavor, exchange candy for a little fruit, etc. I know its been mentioned before but as little processed foods possible, buy your food on the edge of your average supermarket (fresh meat, produce, etc.) as opposed to in the middle (boxed food). Don't eat it if it will not spoil in 1-2 weeks!

I posted this on the other thread but here is a photo of my results as of a month ago:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozuc50fq1pg5wer/IMG_0365-S.JPG

Keep up the great work everyone! Thanks for letting me join this challenge.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back