Focus settings for D750

abee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot mainly in manual mode. Can someone tell me what your auto focus settings are? I feel like I have something wrong. The lens I'm using is a 24-120mm. Thanks

I don't really understand the question. You mean mode? I'll shoot A, S or M mode depending on situation. Usually M for studio lighting and A for natural light portraiture.

I don't really understand the question. You mean mode? I'll shoot A, S or M mode depending on situation. Usually M for studio lighting and A for natural light portraiture.

Hopefully I am making sense.

When I am shooting in auto mode, and I half press down my button it will focus on a subject and make a clicking sound. Then when I'm ready I just press the button all the way and it takes the picture. I can't seem to get that same setting on manual mode.

I shoot mainly in manual mode. Can someone tell me what your auto focus settings are? I feel like I have something wrong. The lens I'm using is a 24-120mm. Thanks

AF-S is single-servo mode. Generally if you shoot in AF-S, you will want to use single-point autofocus. AF-S focuses once when you half press your shutter, and does not refocus. It's for portraiture, landscape, still photography, etc.

AF-C is continuous-focus mode. It's for sports, wildlife, and other moving subjects. There are many different settings for AF-C. Each one is useful. I use a mix of 3D-tracking, single-point, the 4-point cluster, 21-point, and full autofocus. Generally if I'm seriously trying to get a photo of a tough to target bird, I'll use 21-point, or the 4-point cluster.

AF-A is a combination of AF-S and AF-C. I never use it.

In your camera, in custom settings -> autofocus -> focus tracking with lock-on, there are a few choices. You can shoot 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, or off. This setting applies to AF-C mode. If you choose "5", the camera will delay refocusing onto a new focus point. If you choose a smaller number, that delay is shorter. If you choose off, the camera will switch to a new focus point as quickly as possible.

On your camera, you can change your autofocus settings by using the little AF, and M switch. There's a button, and if you press it, you can use your dials to switch from AF-C, AF-S, AF-A, and you can use the other dial to switch your focus point types. The "M" on the dial stands for manual focus. It is not the same as manual exposure mode.

I always use AF-C.

I have two main configurations:
- Single point selection, no AF-ON, focus priority, drive mode varies (typically Quiet). This is my usual mode for portraiture etc.
- Dynamic mode, reconfigured the AF/AE-Lock button to AF-ON, possibly shutter priority, drive mode Continous.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back