Formal Education?

Up to this point completely self taught - photography goes very well with a lot of my other interests. Just reading a lot, and practicing more. Trying to make as many mistakes as possible :)

That and just talking to a lot of other people to see what their experiences and opinions are - I'm lucky in that I have quite a few people to ask, and have met more in the last year. Considering doing some sort of course now I'm settled in one place for a bit, though unsure what sort of qualification I would want if any. Also unemployed - no money but plenty of time ;)

I got into photography by means of a best friend who had a Canon Digital Rebel. I loved the pictures he took and figured that I'd like to do that someday with a Canon Digital SLR just like he had. Then about 1 year later I met my girlfriend (we've been together for 7 months) and she LOVES photography and vintage cameras. I decided it would be fun to shoot with her, so for Christmas this past year I asked my mother (I'm only 17, was 16 at the time) for a Canon digital Rebel XT. She ordered it, and the 2 weeks of shipping I had to wait I used to study the tech terms. I had the camera nearly mastered before even holding it, trial and error helped me discover the rest. Just yesterday I inherited a Canon AE-1 Film SLR from the late 1970s and I am madly in love with it and the 4 lenses I received with it (compared to the 2 I have on the DSLR). I have decided to collect cameras, and take photos as an artistic hobby. Next year I am taking B&W photography and yearbook in my schedule. The yearbook will require I use the digital for photos that 4/5s of the school will see and criticize so I will be shooting all summer at different subjects to get better.

I have no formal training...which is probably obvious from looking at the pictures i've posted ;) I've always been a little "shutterbug" as my dad calls me. The closest training I've had were art history classes...one dedicated to the history of photography which was really fascinating! I'm a bookish type so reading about the ethics involved in war photography sparked my fancy ;) I'm graduating this spring with an Bachelor of Arts (English Literature and Language) and I hope that someday I'll get the chance/time/money to study photography in an academic setting. Being able to workshop and be in a creative environment with people so learned people has been inspiring for my writing...I can only imagine it would be similar with a photography program or course. As much as I love books and independent thinking...I've read enough to know that not everything can be learned with your face in a book. i know... sacreligious for an english major ;)

for you to gather information, then you apply what you have retained, and go out and make the mistakes that must be made, for you to learn.

Once you learn (a point or technique) then you must practice this, over and over, until you can duplicate the results.

Then re-reading always leads to more information that you missed prevously.. I know I always do.

Is there anyone here.. who can READ.. a book once and remember evreything that was in it, and have prefect recall ? No!

I hae to read something at least 7 times before I am truely comfortable.

I know people who can read say.. the bible.. just once.. and they think they have it all figured out.!

wow. i never expected to get so many replies on this topic.
this is just wonderful :)

Majik, I am curious, what do you do now for work?

Are you retired, Are you a photographer, or are you a
Journeyman wireman ?

You said you have been teaching electricians for 40 years, but if you are a journeyman electrician surley this cannot be true if your also happily retired...??

I really don't..should I scan my journeyman's license?

quote.. surely you cannot .. .. ..

Ok.. lets do some simple math.. but first..

I was the YOUNGEST person ever to be admitted to Local 103 boston.

I graduated high school when I was only 16.

now in order to get into any Union as an electrican apprentice. you have to take a test.

The union only accepts 50 people a year. 1000 people are in line for that spot. but you have to pass a test.. and this test has nothing to do with electricty.

1000 men were in that room ages 19 - 25

they are onlly going to accept 50 people.

I came in #33 @ age 15! when I walked into that room.. eveyrone said. get that child out of here..!

1960 -2000 is exactlly 40 years! that is how long I worked, longer even
but those are my UNION years. and they sucked

YES YES YES I AM HAPPILLY RETIRED.

I entered 1st grade when I was 4 ONLy BECAUSE I COULD TEACH SO WELL.

YES. I remember this day so well. 5 teachers at the side of the room.. and I had the whole class to teach! how to read!

I can honestly say.. that them teachers were blown away at my reading abilities. that is why they put me up to teach the chidren how to sound out words using sylabbles and pronounce consonants and vowels.

I had this down pat.. when I was 2.

when I was in the third grade.. a radio station came to our school to find a 7th or 8th grader to read on the radio show.. I was the one picked out of the entire school

I could read with feeling and atriculate pronunciation. 3rd grader having the reading level and retention of a junior in high school

In 12 years of scholling.. I was in 10 schools.. always moving around

it did not matter how old I was. or which school I went into .. when I walked into the class room. the entire class would fall out of their chairs laughing.!!...........look! its Alfred E. Newman!

2nd grade clear though to high school. THAT is what met me upon entering any classroom. total hysteria

I joined the Army to get away from my father who was killing me at work.

I had to take two weeks of IQ testing to enter the field I wanted to enter.. 32G20 Fixed Cryptographic equipment rebuilding and repair.

THE ABSOLUTE toughest schooll in all the armed services.

You could not study
there were no books
you could not take notes
1 year course in heavy duty electronic circuitry. -=[TOP SECRET]=-

for every 200 people the army put into this course. they felt very happy if they could just get 10 people to make it through.

there was a test every week. anything below a 90 was a failure.
flunk two tests and your out!
my class had 185.. only 7 of us finished!

Yes I am an I.B.E.W. WIREMAN and I have won more awards. than any other electrican in the state of Alaska.

I was tops in my class back in Boston, and yes. as a 2nd year apprentice I was up front teaching the teacher how to use a 3 way switch DIFFERENTLY than from what they said.
I was forman as a 2nd year apprentice 34d year apprentice and 4th year also.
My fathere started to train me.. when I was in the third grade.. EVERY WEEKEND. on a job.. working my butt off. at that young age.

I wanted to become an artist that was my passion when I was little and I sed to draw lots.. and my fathere would sneak up behind me and slap me across the face grab my papers and yell your gonna be an electrican
you can't make any money in Art!

yeah I am a J.W. the best! cause I was taught by the best. I am not saying that because he was my father no ! we never got along.. I always wanted to see him screw up.juat once.. to prove he was human!

he was a genius of genius's of genius's and way beyond that. He expected tme to have his "brains' I got 1/100,000 OF WHAT HE HAD.

Yeah.. I am so happy to be retired. the last day wnen I signed out at the union hall in Anchorage.. my ticket is in that local now on withdrawal.

the sectretary said to me.. are you going to miss it? I laughed and said.

patti.. I would gladly. give up my legs than to have to ever work with those people ever again.

she said it is that bad.. No! it is much worse.!

can we hook Majik up with his own forum?

He seems to have a lot to say...mostly about himself. Seems appropriate that he have his very own forum where he can carry on as his own subject.

You know...a clearinghouse of information on all that is Majik Imaje for those who want to read all about it...and a place for those of us with better things to do to avoid like the plague.

Well a person asked me a question and I answered.. now you want to follow me around and lift yourself up as having better things to do yet you keep following me looking for things to pick on.. ?"

it seems as though YOU REALLY DON'T HAVE .. ANYTHING BETTER TO DO.

YOUR CRITIQUES ARE HARSH. but I read them and see what I can learn about what your saying..your teaching me alot.. but your also making me roflmao

Oh I see.. you got a birthday present for me today is that it ??

Here I was all excited that my thread made two pages. I felt popular... briefly.
Anyone mind if I start a thread soley dedicated to us vs Majik.
Then we can keep the other threads for oh lets say..... PHOTOGRAPHIC DISCUSSIONS.

I have no formal training either, except for one photography course I took while in college which taught me the basics.I bought my first camera, a Yashica SLR in Vietnam in 1969 for $106.

I read books and magazines. I set up a B&W darkroom in the 70s. Moved in 82 and packed away my darkroom stuff, never to use it again. Took very few photos during the 80s and early 90s (except for family).

Got back into photography in the mid-90s. Put together a digital darkroom when I bought a film scanner. Went completely digital in 2004.

I enjoy photography as a hobby. I could not imagine trying to make a living in photography. I don't think I have the kind of drive it would take (I am getting older).

Have a good day. (This is my first post in this forum. I just joined today.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back