Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another question for everyone...

What is a freelance photographer?

Who can be one?

Can you make money doing it?

Has anyone done it (or doing it now)?

Any thoughts on the subject overall?

i'm sure the business people of this forum will be able to answer this question well.

i think freelance just means that you dont work for anyone, and you 'find' your own work. So a freelance photographer controls the advertising and business side of his photography instead of just working for a company. many wedding photographers and portrait photographers freelance, for instance. anybody can be a freelance photographer. you just have to be good to make much money. there are many, many photographers that do freelance. I've heard it can be a tough area to get into and do really well, but there are some that can do so.

So how does someone make any money if you just go find places to take pictures??

Do you just send your pics to a newspaper or something??

you can do that, usually freelancers dont send their stuff to publications but use it for specific clients (again, with portraiture for example). many do actually take photos of events then send them into publications (but it's harder). I'm going to use portraiture yet again for an example. You make yourself known through ads and other forms of marketing, etc. Then once people decide to use you, you take their pics for them, and they pay you. then they may tell others about you if you do a good job. and yes, you can make alot of money freelancing if you know what you're doing. there are a few portraitists in the US that i know of that make quite alot of money with freelancing, or by starting off with freelancing and starting their own business.

You can also be a freelance assistant, lab guy, whatever. I consider it as taking on side work. I get calls for work outside of the newspaper I work with. I call that freelance because I do not advertise my self as having my own photography business.

I want to add a general question in here if I can..........

I've always been told by photographers that any kind of school isn't needed for the profession of photography. But, in the case of freelancing, does it hurt your chances of gettin' work for newspapers or magazines when you don't have a degree, or some other kind of credentials?

The important thing about doing Photography is you need to know what you are doing. Whether you learn what you need from doing a course, working as an assistant or by trial and error isn't important.
What is important is: can you get a printable picture on the editor's desk by the deadline. An average picture produced on time is superior to the best photo in the world that arrives late.

Try books, they're good:
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0715318004/qid=1128502690/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-0884733-3072658[/ame]

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back