Full time professional photographer

Some folks say it's income related but I say it's skill and behavior based.

What are the skills and behavioral requirements that you think that would qualify someone to be a full time professional photographer?

What are the skills and behavioral requirements that you think that would qualify someone to be a full time professional photographer?

The same things you'd expect from a professional contractor/lawyer/doctor. They know their ****, do the job very well and act properly.

I've seen people that make a good living and frankly do bad work and other who do it for fun who are light years ahead. But again if you are a very skilled photography but screw over clients, don't show up and other things, you are not professional either.

What about a photographer who makes a living selling Art Photography? That's all they do.

Are they a proffesional or just an artist?

What about a photographer who makes a living selling Art Photography? That's all they do.

You mean like and artist vs. someone doing baby pics?

Well that's the difference between a working professional and an artist. Same as the difference between a studio guitarist and someone like Jimi Hendrix.

The same things you'd expect from a professional contractor/lawyer/doctor. They know their ****, do the job very well and act properly.

"Do their job very well", who's the judge of a job well done? The clients or other photographers?

Well that's the difference between a working professional and an artist. Same as the difference between a studio guitarist and someone like Jimi Hendrix.

All right, I get what you're saying. There is definitely a difference.. but if you could ask Jimi Hendrix what his profession is I doubt he'd say anything other than musician..

My problem is I can't see myself calling him a "Professional Musician" even though its obvious that his profession was musician.

:disturbed:

All right, I get what you're saying. There is definitely a difference.. but if you could ask Jimi Hendrix what his profession is I doubt he'd say anything other than musician..

My problem is I can't see myself calling him a "Professional Musician" even though its obvious that his profession was musician.

:disturbed:

Jimi Hendrix was a professional musical artist. Bob Smith who does commercial jingles and studio music is a professional musician.

"Do their job very well", who's the judge of a job well done? The clients or other photographers?

To the satisfaction of the paying client and the photographer's professional peers.

Absolutely this.

Technically, by the income definition, I am a full time professional photographer because I am employed as a photographer for a company and I earn 100% of my income by it.

However, I don't feel like a professional photographer because the photography job I do from 9:00am-6:00pm everyday is very much bread and butter type work, creatively unstimulating and repetitive and I'm bored of it. In my spare time though, I do portraits and actor headshots which, for the last year I have been doing for free to build my portfolio. 2 weeks ago I had my first unsolicited paying customer and have my second and third lined up.

Now I feel more like a professional photographer because I am finding creatively stimulating work off my own back and talking like a photographer with my clients.

Technically, yes, it's all about income. But It's also about attitude, confidence, knowledge and how others see you as well.

I went full time pro in late 2013. I call myself full time professional because I spend at least 30 hours a week working and I earn a full time salary with my photography. I couldn't careless where my skills level was at the time and I wasn't shooting for anyone but myself and my clients. I still stand by that, shooting for myself and my clients. I'm just curious to see if anyone else went through a similar phase, switching from just a hobby to a full time profession, and how did they come to that decision.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back