FX sensor in D4 vs 810

If Nikon's categorizing convention is not to be taken seriously why are we still arguing about what makes a pro camera. I can always say a 36mpx sensor makes a camera pro since it's closer to a medium format.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you all look at title the specific question was about sensors, not prosumer, pro or entry level bodies :)

. I can always say a 36mpx sensor makes a camera pro since it's closer to a medium format.

Then Sony A7r is a professional camera. It also has 36 mp. Then we have that Nokia phone with 40 mp... Should be super pro...

. I can always say a 36mpx sensor makes a camera pro since it's closer to a medium format.

Then Sony A7r is a professional camera. It also has 36 mp. Then we have that Nokia phone with 40 mp... Should be super pro...

Yes totally :))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say give 36 mp to beginners who will point, shoot and then crop the hell out of it in pp, leave 12 high quality mp for pros who know how to frame :eyebrows: and shoot properly.

I would say give 36 mp to beginners who will point, shoot and then crop the hell out of it in pp, leave 12 high quality mp for pros who know how to frame :eyebrows: and shoot properly.
made me laugh!!

you are right in a way. The photos I really crop hard are usually the ones I REALLy frig up from the get go...

Yep.

D4/D4s shutters per NikonUSA.com:
D4’s shutter has been tested on fully assembled cameras for 400,000 cycles at extreme continuous burst rates.
D800/D800E/D810 shutters per NikonUSA.com:
The D810 with magnesium alloy, stringently tested weather and dust sealing, a shutter that's been tested to 200,000 cycles,
FYI,
the NIkon d750 shutter is a Kevlar/carbon fiber-composite shutter, which has been tested to 150,000 cycles

by comparison the Canon 1dx is carbon fiber

According to Nikon's website:
Yes, Nikon has defined *their* cameras per their specifications to their categories which has helped some people clear up camera categories.

Yes, a Pro can use any camera that they wish, just like an amatuer can use any camera that they wish.

But unless someone is going to sue Nikon over their "categorization" of their own products we're stuck with their categorizations, and people will usually default to what the manufacturer states about their own products.

D4s has less physical resolution (4,928 x 3,280) that the D810 (7,360 x 4,912)

4928 x 3280 = 16.16 million
7360 x 4912 = 36.15 million

Coincidentally, the D4 has a 16MP sensor and the D810 has a 36MP...

d4 is a much tougher camera though right, meant for hard use? Buy a d4 for basic consumer use it would probably last you for a decade.

They have the same full-magnesium alloy body and weather sealing. I don't see how one is "stronger/tougher" than the other.
we need someone to start hammering a bunch of cameras in a scientific "study" to find out actually how tough one is compared to another. We don't know the details. Does a lower body have a thinner magnesium shell ? So many engineering questions abound before that question can be properly answered. But it is nice that it is sealed like the higher end bodies, at least we think so .. what is marketing speak and what isn't ?? back to the specific engineering in regards to each camera.

The title has "d4" but his # 1 post asks about the "d4s", unless he was using the plural.

I have no experience with either camera. With that said, I have like most of you, read quite a bit about both of them. From what I have read I have come to the conclusion that the D810 will produce somewhat better image quality in just about every category. Depending on ones needs, this may are may not be all that big of a deal. Also from what I have read I have come to the conclusion that the D4 is much more robustly constructed and can shoot 11 frames per second vs 5, will focus faster, and is a little better at high ISO (less noise).

The title has "d4" but his # 1 post asks about the "d4s", unless he was using the plural.

the D4s is still 16MP. it just has larger pixels to fill the same space as the D810. Which is why I agreed with your pixel density post...

Last edited:
Right, do those larger individual pixels on the sensor give me any advantage?

I think that's what I'm asking ... Fwiw I'm pretty much set on the 810, just looking for education :)

They should catch more light individually with better signal to noise ratio and when combined should have less noise. This assumes they are similar tech, as an 11mp sensor with large pixel wells from 2005 doesn't perform better than a 24mp one from 2013

Most reactions

New Topics

Back