FX sensor in D4 vs 810

Dxomark.com will tell the tale much better than we will.

The d4 has a superb sensor from a previous generation of sensors. As such it has somewhat different properties. Properties you would do better to look up.

As for product categories, the d4 is clearly in a different one. If you choose to call that category 'fish' or 'integrity' or 'mauve' more power to you. I will continue to use the industry term 'pro' and continue to offer corrections to people who appear not to know that usage. Because it aids communication when more people use the same words for things, instead of made up vocabulary.

Nikon is simply muddying the waters. On purpose. It's what marketing does.

sashbar said:
I would say give 36 mp to beginners who will point, shoot and then crop the hell out of it in pp, leave 12 high quality mp for pros who know how to frame :eyebrows: and shoot properly.

Nokia ran commercials that tried to convince phone buyers that is how their company's 41 Megapixel phone's camera could be used: shoot from afar (at an event where iPhone and Adroid users literally physically fought one another for close-up shooting positions! lol) and then crop the photos later, to make close-up-type photos.

I use the term "flagship-level" camera for the Nikon and Canon 1-digit bodies. While Nikon's marketing calls the D800-series "professional cameras", they are not in the same class as the 1-digit cameras. If you've ever shot with a flagship level camera, then you'd know the differences between it and something like a D800.

sashbar said:
I would say give 36 mp to beginners who will point, shoot and then crop the hell out of it in pp, leave 12 high quality mp for pros who know how to frame :eyebrows: and shoot properly.

Nokia ran commercials that tried to convince phone buyers that is how their company's 41 Megapixel phone's camera could be used: shoot from afar (at an event where iPhone and Adroid users literally physically fought one another for close-up shooting positions! lol) and then crop the photos later, to make close-up-type photos.

I use the term "flagship-level" camera for the Nikon and Canon 1-digit bodies. While Nikon's marketing calls the D800-series "professional cameras", they are not in the same class as the 1-digit cameras. If you've ever shot with a flagship level camera, then you'd know the differences between it and something like a D800.
The only way I'll ever shoot with flagship model is if somebody loans me one.

The Nokia may have 41mp, but it's shooting those pixels through a lens the size of a pea. Mp isn't everything by a long chalk. In this case, I'm thinking it was a marketing ploy

The Nokia camera is by all informed accounts superb.

The Nokia may have 41mp, but it's shooting those pixels through a lens the size of a pea. Mp isn't everything by a long chalk. In this case, I'm thinking it was a marketing ploy

I'm just going to leave a few quotes:

"The level of resolution the lens is capable of producing has been compared by Carl Zeiss to the Carl Zeiss Planar 2/50 ZM lens, and Carl Zeiss has found that the lens in the PureView 808 is capable of out resolving the more expensive 50mm Planar."

"The Nokia PureView 808 sensor is much larger than any camera phone sensor and much larger than nearly all compact cameras (excluding the Canon Powershot G1 X), with a 1/1.2inch sensor, it's almost as large as the sensor in the Nikon 1 Series CSC. "

Most reactions

Back