Getting the most from my camera

Hey guys, I think I get what you all are saying. Obviously, I need to re-visit how I'm taking the pictures.

Reading between the lines, it seems like there are some legitimate limitations to the iPhone as a camera, and what I'm hearing is that if I want to get good pictures at the wedding with it, I'll really have to know those limitations and work smart to get around them.

I've got some ideas re: this, I'll do some more research and come back with what I've found out. Mainly, I should be able to whip up a simple tripod mount using an old 'belt holster' phone holder I used to use for it. If I can get the camera steady, that should make a big difference. I'm also looking at some portable lights so I can work around the lack of flash. I'm thinking some LED flashlights, zip-tied to the tripod or something.

I'm super grateful for all your help!

Hey guys, I think I get what you all are saying. Obviously, I need to re-visit how I'm taking the pictures.

Reading between the lines, it seems like there are some legitimate limitations to the iPhone as a camera, and what I'm hearing is that if I want to get good pictures at the wedding with it, I'll really have to know those limitations and work smart to get around them.

I've got some ideas re: this, I'll do some more research and come back with what I've found out. Mainly, I should be able to whip up a simple tripod mount using an old 'belt holster' phone holder I used to use for it. If I can get the camera steady, that should make a big difference. I'm also looking at some portable lights so I can work around the lack of flash. I'm thinking some LED flashlights, zip-tied to the tripod or something.

I'm super grateful for all your help!

When you get your set up done. Please post a picture of it. If you have too, do it in front of a mirror. I would like to see how this works.

This is way funny. :lmao:
Seriously though couldnt you go to Apple and see if they have a RAW D/L for you phone. But even more seriously nobody in the right mind would use an iPhone or, any phone for that matter for a wedding. I like to ghettoo setups but, that is way to ghetto for me.

You guys are funny, heh heh. I know you're just kidding around, though, because the guy at the AT&T store said it was a really good camera. Here's a pic I just took:

iphoto1.jpg

As you can see, it really picks up the colors vividly and gets all the detail very clearly. I picked this shot because I had my headlights on so you can really see everything clearly. I can tell that I'll need to have some much bigger lights than I had planned to make this work, so I'll see what I can rent. There are work lights with stands at the local hardware rental place that should do quite nicely.

I'm not going to bug my sister with all these details, she's busy getting ready for her big day! I'm so proud of her, she's really making sure everything is perfect. The ceremony will be taking place in a really fantastic location, so I'll need to take REALLY nice pictures to get everything down.

She hasn't picked a videographer yet, but I heard that the new iPhone has a video camera so it might be time for me to upgrade!

i have a nokia phone from like 6-7 years ago that takes better pictures than that. your iphone is fail.
you should definitely get a nokia for the wedding.

I'm in two mindsets wither this guy is an idiot or if he is trolling...
I don't think anyone can be that dumb so ill place my money on trolling
I would be too scared to pull a phone out and take pictures with it, as a main photographer, for some PERSONAL momento's of the wedding it would be fine, but to give to the bride... that is just fail... i see your family must be really dumb to "higher" someone who uses a phone to take images... it will never work in a Church / Reception

good luck though if your being serious, thanks for the laughs

Yeah now I'm sure he's kidding. That pic absolutely sucked and he was all like "see how clear everything is?" Just ignore this now. He's just trying to get people mad at him. And that thing about zip-tying LED lights to a tripod, please...

Last edited:
I say bring a local kindergarten class to the wedding, give them paper and crayons and let them draw the pictures. They can't be any worse than this. Besides, how could the bride be pissed at a bunch of 5 year olds? :mrgreen: :lmao: :mrgreen:

Hi there, if you are planning to do wedding photography, let me tell you as a friend, never use your iphone or whatever cell phone you have to take the photographs of your sister's precious moment... it will ruin your relationship with her... forever... you know what i mean right.... you should at least use a digital SLR if you really want to get some sweet ones... and well, if you do not want to spend on buying, there are some places who rent cameras for a pretty reasonable price... so just go for it.. and if you are not too good with photography, just use the program mode (especially the ones during the most significant moments of the wedding), and you can try some on manual mode.. just try, it does not destroy the camera... your sister's wedding is a once-in a lifetime moment for her.. so get the best out of it man...

Ah, I just figured it out.

I see the problem with the picture.

He didn't do a recalibration when he left LA for Oregon. Camera on his Iphone was adjusted for the smog of LA. So, now that its in good clean air of Oregon, that atmospheric saturation calibration is out of whack.

I am pretty sure the Apple store has a recalibration kit available. I am not sure but I think they are pretty pricey though. Something like $499 for the low end ones, to over $7,000 for the high end pro models.

Ok, I get that the lens isn't perfect. So if I need a new one, where do I get it?

Benhasajeep: LOL yeah, the weather here in Eugene is weird, the air actually kinda hurts my lungs. I get the same thing whenever I leave the Valley, I guess I'm just used to it by now. No worries, I'll save cig $$ when I head back home.

I really don't know if you're serious or not. Honestly, you can't possibly think that that pic you posted up here is good. It's totally blurry; you can hardly tell that the big object is a woman. But if you are serious, let me tell you again, you can't use a phone to properly photograph a wedding. Quit trying to upgrade your phone or convince us that it's good enough. Find someone else to be the official photographer and then use you phone to take your own pics if you want.

Most reactions

Back