Gimp? Photoshop?

Remote

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I haaaave been hearing, at least I think, that I should use some kind of editing tool such as the aforementioned ones? Is that true or false? What do you guys recommend I download? Thankzzz :mrgreen:

Hi, I haaaave been hearing, at least I think, that I should use some kind of editing tool such as the aforementioned ones? Is that true or false? What do you guys recommend I download? Thankzzz :mrgreen:

well you dont HAVE to use editing tools.. if your happy with your pictures the way they are, then theres no need for editing...

however if you do want to edit, the standard is photoshop, but its not cheap.. as for comparing gimp and photoshop, gimp is free.. I've never used it, but I've read and have been told that it similar to photoshop.. perhaps someone with gimp experience can chime in here

I'd recommend Photoshop Elements. You get a lot of what Photoshop gives you but without the huge price tag. GIMP is free and you tend to get what you pay for.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I sorta can't buy anything :p So I guess, does anyone have any more info on Gimp?

thats what i thought, but i wasnt sure.. some people talk praises about gimp, but i was of the impression that its a "get what you pay for" sort of app

Actually I use GIMP and love it... The biggest problem with GIMP is that it is only a MAC program. So if you are using a P.C., you are S.O.L.

I have used Photoshop Elements on Mac, I find it it are allot easier to use. If you are willing to take the time to learn how to use GIMP, I have found that the results are very similar. I am no pro, but I think GIMP is a great program and have just started to become savy with it. Just my 2 cents

It's only for Mac? I think my friend had it though, and he uses a PC...Hmm...

I had never heard that it was Mac only...I'd check that out.

Oh my bad... I coulda swore somewhere I read it was mac only... Okay.. Good to know...

Ive used gimp, and gimp shop, both are good programs. Imo the only thing that NEEDS to be done to digital images is a little sharpening. I could be wrong, but from class and such (and personal experience) digital shots arent quite as sharp as a film shot thats enlarged and such in the darkroom, so it needs a bit of sharpening. Other then that its really personal preference.

Actually I use GIMP and love it... The biggest problem with GIMP is that it is only a MAC program. So if you are using a P.C., you are S.O.L.

Um no... GIMP is not MAC only.

I think the answer is pretty simple if you must use an editing program and don't want to spend anything.... GIMP. Almost Everything else does cost money.

Photoshop is the gold standard, but expensive. Gimp is a little bit clunky but it does 75% of what Photoshop can do, plus the concepts are the same, so learning on the Gimp is fine while you are deciding if you want to invest in Photoshop. And I've been using Gimp on Windows for about 10 years, so I'm not sure where people got the idea it's Mac only.

If you just want to do basic editing (contrast, sharpening, saturation, etc), there are lots of other alternatives.. Lightroom, Elements, etc.

GIMP does all I need and then some. I usually only sharpen, crop, or resize my photos, but in the off chance I have white balance issues, or my pics are under or over exposed, GIMP fixes them just fine for me.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back