Giving Smoke Art a try C&C welcome

Haha, very cool! Too crisp on the color changes, but cool none-the-less.

Here is my favorite one that I did:

I am posting it because I wanted to exhibit my tip, which is try to selectively color your photo so that it looks like something. Then it won't look like just colored smoke anymore, but maybe something entirely different, if you're lucky!

Cool stuff, what you shoot this with? I am gonna have to try this out...

Ok, so I found an awesome tutorial on Youtube and gave the layering and masking a try!

DSC_1869copycopy.jpg

nice work!

now try it again, but this time, follow the lines of the smoke!

I shot it with the kit lens at about f8 or so? about a 5 second shutter speed in a really dark room with a piece of black posterboard as the backdrop. I clicked the shutter and then used my external flash (circa 1979 canon flash) to flash from the side.

I shot it with the kit lens at about f8 or so? about a 5 second shutter speed in a really dark room with a piece of black posterboard as the backdrop. I clicked the shutter and then used my external flash (circa 1979 canon flash) to flash from the side.

How did you focus to make it so crisp? I can never seem to get mine that sharp.

If you're using a 50mm f1.8, I'm assuming you're using a very wide aperture. You can't do that, because you don't know exactly where the smoke will be. A much larger DOF is better, because if the smoke moves slightly toward or away from the camera, it will still be in focus.

If you're using a 50mm f1.8, I'm assuming you're using a very wide aperture. You can't do that, because you don't know exactly where the smoke will be. A much larger DOF is better, because if the smoke moves slightly toward or away from the camera, it will still be in focus.

Hmm I will have to give it a try tonight when it's darker. Thanks for the tips! I am going to go play with smoke now. Lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back